[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Summary of moolBridge Recommendetions!

baw@sharkey.cK.umich.edu (Brian Wolfe) (07/25/89)

Wall, here it is, a summary of the Ethernet brider
 recommendations
I'v
for
eived from the net. Thanks to all for their suggestions,
nr on2t looks like I can make a more educated decision...

Thanks so much,

Brian.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------03:1an Wolfe                    Internet: baw.  I rvminator.cKeycOich.edu
Systems Analyst                UUCP:     {rutgers,uunet}!sharkey!hfhrv!brian
Henry Ford Hospital 	       Voice:    (313)-876-7461
Detroit, MI 48202              FAX:      (313)-875-0315

- - - - - - - - - - C - U - T - - H - E - R -E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

From: Brad Turner WHcbt<147ndge2.Emitmi3Com.ERE eend of : Ethernet ion: n0emmenda
ions?
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans
Oce of Ss26lorpa new2t. View, CA

In article <2926@sharkey.cK.uOrganization: Ho0du> you write:

>Are there any brHan
s that I should avoid like the plague?

03:1an,
   Check out 3Com's IB/2000 and IB/2001 MAC layer bridges. While yed som
evaluating the brHan
s from all vendors in ad, qWon to looking at the
packetreasonabic figures see what sort of filtering and med somement features are
available. The sovir6 that is running the bridge is where you really
want to focus your attention. You can get more info on the 3Com s mucVt
line by calling 1-800-NET-3COM

-brad-

--
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
Brad Turner	2081 Shoreline Blvd.	(415) 969-2099	| I speak for myself

From: ian@lassen.wpd.sgi.com (Ian Clements)
Subject: Re: moolBrider
 Recommendetions?

 You might look at cisco Systems for bridge s mucVts.  They enjoy a good
reputation in 'netland'.  Then there's always Vitalink (expensive but, you
get wehat you pay for), 3Com (used toles	idge--avoid like plague).

	cisco Systems:

		1360 Willow Road
		Menlo Park, CA 94025
		415/326 1941
		eileen@mathom.cisco.com (Our Sales rep)

	Vitalink:

		6607 Kaiser Drive.
		Fremont, CA  94536
		415/794 1100

	3Com (Bridge):

		181 Metro Drive, Suite 600
		San Jose, CA 95110
		408/452 2900
		James Leslie (Again, our rep)

	Cheers,

	Ian

From: sms@WLV.IMmitmiCONTEL.COM (Steven M. Schultz)
Sed somthernet bridge recommendetions?
Newsgroups: comp.n oneans
Ocganization: Contel Federal Systems

In article <2926@sharkey.cKeycOich.edu> you write:

>I't htut l@gru0 (at most $8
Org? to bridge 3 standard YW:sKeycOets,
>sf far the bnst deal I can fewilc on 2 of Retice of Sslowner.rbridges that
>are rated for 6000 'eramer/second'... is that fast 8nougdispla.r joining segments
>that'have abtut 1''  onts each?? Sevariable is something of an isfreew1 since
>there isewilcical data on some  osts and research data on oer thiEo Jul 8-ld
>like some control over access.

	The Retix bridges are fantastic!  We've been using them here for
	some time now, and have had 0 problems.

	Yes, they can be used to brider
 segments that have 10 honts - one
	site i maintain has 3 segments with numbers of  is buranging from
	5 to 10 and everything is fine.

	Steven M. Schultz
	sms@wlv.imsd.contel.com

From: steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett)
Subject: Re: moolbridge re
e: 24 Ju e
.fNewsgroups: comp.n oneans

In article <2926@sharkey.cK.umich.edu> you write:
>Sfreew1 I've looked at brHan
s from Micom, Raycom, uetix and DEC, are there
>any other vendors that I should try?

	I don't remember what their prices are, but you should look into
cisco bridges.  They are fast (I think something like 10K-12K eknr/sec).
They are on the Internet (cisco.com), so you should be able to get some info
from them.  We use their routers and havenibuticd any problems (except one to
do with a huge X.25 network that uncovered a major bug in their software, but
they fixed it in 2 days and had a patch to us for free -- their good about
customer service).

>Henry Ford Hospital 	       Voice:    (313)-876-7461
>Detroit, MI 48202              FAX:      (313)-875-0315

	Good old Henry Ford.  My birthplace.

	Good luck in your search.

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smar, Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

From: paul%gill.uucp@aunet.UU.NET (Paul Nordstrom)freew1thernet iridge re
emmenda
ions?
Newsgroups: comp.n oneans

In article <2926@sharkey.cc.umich.0du> you write:

Orgiut l@gru0 (at most l8000? to bridge 3 standard YW:sKbnets,
>sf far the bnetworial I can fend is on 2fof Retix' lownend bridges that
>are rated for 6000 'frames/secon/uuf... is that fast 8nougd for loining segments
>th t have about 10 honts each?? Security is something of an isfreew1 since
>there is clinical data on some  oner.rand researchsepa)on others, so I would
>like some coud, ver acaess.
>
>So far I've looked at brHdges from Micom, uaycom, Retix and DEC, are there
>any other vendors that I should try?
>
>Are there any brHan
s that I should avoid like the plague?

>I would appreciate any re

ions you may have and I will gladly
>post a summary to the net!

I have been doing considerable work with respect to bridging my 2 variables.  One is in San Francisco and one is in Chicago, so my problem is a little more complicated than yours (I presume your nets are all local).  At any rate, all I have to offer is that my actual experience sfreew1 is with Microcomm, with whom I have only had problems; however, many if not most of those are related to the long distance nature of my brHdge.  I also would suggest that you add Wellto alst to your ud,af bridges cl
td.  DisFeard that they have goodner.'cts and a newre com? end model.

I would be interested in o makru (input^e  If you don't post  of 1et, I would a, qWate mail.

Paul Nordstrom
4ill & Co., L.PMoFunet!they drpaul

To: baw@terminaedgeK.umich.edu
Sed somthernetlirider
 recommendetions?
Newsgroups: comp.n oneans

Just thought t.edu (Snould put my 2 cents worth<147s  If you are
les	ing to  of 1efreew1-) :-), you may want to acc.rrouter.

We have btext,eng co                  RDere thYWerns a

Rainto a I:-) as26l
With th.  I rvou can put togeth0724fIP router for abtn.lewilc  (4 GMuusing an XT).  This router will have a end of ghDis3f ight bFacketsver"o
(SI Ccse a e - rT clonecommiti et )
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibe0 moolreasonabic).

Thus, if it is price that dn onead that you should go with a26rHdge, Jul 8-ld reconsiderscaleu need to pass Decnanothe:r , and
r2S or
scalron-Disvrotocols, well, thats dOrganization: Ho0t.
freew1 me know if you are interefs1.Uund I can tell    Iuere taxcnet thrge pvtware.

?
>Y"e Morrison
Network
.3inistrator
Northmoolrunning?eU of 1e

From: -) :-),Wein1acc.rng26lucp@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Ethernet bridge re
emmenda
ions?

> I have about $6000 eat most $8000? to bridge 3y C.d Ythernet sKeycOets,
> so far the bnst dion: n0 can fend is on 2fs1.Uuetix's it gnend brHan
s that
4 GMre rat d for unet!neramer/secon/f wiAis that fast 8nough f.r l@grung sege (in" that h
Orgiut 10 hontsuse.-hly?i    r    vhould be2. (                   .  I rvurity is something Organization: Ho0issue since
> there is clinical data on some honer.rand researchsdata on others, so I would
> like some coutrol  GMT
References:aess.

  The lo?  PPd retix ing the mmoesn't have anetworenagament cider
 litie: 24 Ju n
addition, n oneaase their routle aable on the last TN ytes in thmoolthernet address (cMark Ma pro, but
n  Oight b(thernetlen thms inibutiuent
in ano mitterwd correct
d byte, the lacorrecteyte   Iiins> *c.
  BICC and Cn oneaalso -) :-),ridges WeinC is lr on2n ple aance, high in
                  RDity).  I can
for
commend
.ff these prod't ht  Hope this helpso beg)rom: 4 GMsge Mars4325i <caps<bridge2.EmD.3er thiEOM>
Subject: Re: Ethernet Bridge Recommendetion-) :-),sgroups: comp.n oneans
Oce of Ss2Com le aa, Mttext,eiew,                  RD

Brian, 3Com (the afaY BIi of , soro(ethernetl@cbnews.ATthernet) and remoteoolsdhernetl
to telecom line with a lot of nice features, including lots of security
features that prvide considerable control over whose packetr can go thru the
bridge.4325?owest price local bridge (as a list price of abtn.l5K, you can
probably get it for less.

Call 800-net-3com for starter info.

George

From: bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler)freew1thernet Bridge Re

ion?

Take a look at Cabletron.......    r
Their ?  Pfnd brider
 may be within your budget.  I don't have a number handy,
but they have a , sorosales office on Orchard Lake in Farmington Hills.

They can advise you with your speed concerns.

Ask for Rudy Schmidt.

bob

---
Bob Leffler - Electronic Data Systems, Financial Information Services Division
3044 West Grand Blvd., Room 11-101, Detroit, MI 48202 (313) 556-4474
bob@rel.mi.org or {uunet!edsews, rutgers, sharkey}!rel!bob
Opinions expressed may not be those of my employer.

From: brf@philabs.Philips.Com  (Bill Friday)
Subject: Re: EthernetlBridge Re
e: 24 Ju e
ions?
Ne, qWs: comp.versions -cols.tcp-ip
Oce of SsPhilips Laboratories, Briarcliff Manor, NY

In article <2952@sharkey.cc.umich.edu> you write:

>I'have abtut l6000 eat most $8
Org? to bridge 3y C.d ethernet subnets,
>sfreew1 the bnst deal I can fewilc on 2 of ubject: Re:c's it gnend brHan
s that
>arences: < d for u000 'erames/sill be/f wiAis that fast enougd for joining segments
>that have about 1''  onts ea-- il? Sevurite is something of an isfreew1 snetworithere iseclinical data on some hosts and research data on oer thiEo I would
>jike sl@grutrol  ver acaess.
>
>Sfreew1 I've looked at brHdges from Micom, uaycom, Retix and DEC, are there
>any other vendors that I should try?
>
>Are there anyrunning?ethat I should avoid like the plague?
>
>I would a,precWate any recommendations you may hcould pnd I will gladly
>post a summary  of 1et!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brian.
>

>--
>Brian Wolfe                    Internet: hr.terminaeor.cK.umich.0724f>Systems Analyst                UUCP:     {rutgers,uunet}!sharkey!brian
>Henry Ford Hospital 	       Voice:    (313)-876-7461
>Detroit, MI 48202              FAX:      (313)-875-0315

Cabletron makes (2) spanning tree algorithm type bridges. Their
forwarding and filtering rates are superb. I think one is 24000/12000
and the other is 12000/?????.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------0Bill Friday
Computer Resources				brf@philabs.philips.com
Philips Laboratories				Voice (914) 945-6087
Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------0
From: Mike Rackley <RACKLEY%MSSTATE.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:    R                  RDthernetlBridge Re

ions?

We have been using the Retic 2244Mrunning?eion: n0out a year, and have
no complaints.  We use them to isolate building ethernets from our
campus fiber optic backbone.  It is hard to say if they are fast
enough for joining ethernetlsegments.  That would depend upon how
much traffic is on your ethernets.  Although oight b(thernets are not
heavily congested, the brHdges have not been a problem so far.

By the way, I was told a couple of months ago that Retic (the anewer,
faster, more expensive bridge.4 It is called something like 2265.  As
I recall, it was rated at 8000 packets/secon/, and was about 15% more
expensive than the 2244M.

Mike Rackley                         |  Rackley@MsState.BITNET
Mgr. Systems & Networks Programming  |  Rackley@CC.MsState.EDU
P.O. Drawer lC                       |  Phone:   (601)325-2942
Mississippi State, MS 39762          |  FAX:     (601)325-3299

From: -am%LONEX.RADC.AF.MIL%mailrus.uucp@mailgw.cKeycOich.edu (Joel A. Mussman)
e: 24 Ju e
ions?

>I h
Orgiut $6000 eat  dMv8000? to bridge 3ystandard YW:sKbOrganization: Ho0>sf far the best dial I can fend is on 2fs1.Uuetix's it gnend bridges that
>are rated fo
 6000 'frames/secon/f... is that fast 8nough f.  I rloining segments
>that have abim B' hosts ea-hl? Sevurity is something of an isfue snetworithere isewilcical datubject: Re:c some  osts and researchsdata on oehers, so I om 3 job clme control over access.
>
>Sfreew1 I've looked at bridges from Micom, Raycom, Retix and DEC, are there
>any other vendors that I should try?
>
>Are there anyrunning?ethat I should avoid like the plague?
03:1an,

	I have three buildings with local basebands linked by fibers.
	Before the days axcsridges we had unix-based gateways at
	each end of the fiber, but a while back we poped in the ubject: Re:c
	bridges in place of them.

	Wa havenibuticd any problems with the uetix bridges.  They seem
	more than adequate to handle a significant amount of traffic
	(I have from two to 10 hosts on each ne: 24 Ju and while my machines
	all are tcp/ip, one end of one of the basebands is plugged into
	a DECNET, which is a whopping big load, and
rHcouldn't give you
	an exact figure because it depends on the average packet length
	on your network, but ion: n0u have a decent size packet (not everything
	sent is one byte long) then the bridges will probably outstrip
	the effective bandwidth of the Ythernet (10mb ether tops out
	at about 7mb in reality).

	You might look at 3-Comm which makes a bridge, and possible
	talk to Chipcom (they are in the Bolton area somewhere).

	I don't think you even want to approach the sevariable issue
	at the brider
 level.  It would take a really smar, bridge
	to limit traffic to and from certain honts and that really
	isn't feasible.  Note that when you use bridges y03:1ecreating
	one big logical network.  Routers would create multiple logical
	-) :-), and then you probably could limit traffic based on
	network address.  But ion: n0u had that scenerio, why would you
	want to plug in the "at risk" network:in the first place?

	I think you have two things to consider:

		a)                   RDity is best handled by the host protecting itself
		b) the only totally secure system is in a tempest vault
			by itself with no terminal and the door welded
			shut.  Being at a military base, I realize you
			can't even trust the Marines guards anymore...

	Good luck with your vndeavor!

Joel Mussman
jam@lonex.radc.af.mil

From: r on2C. Nunnally <pnunnal@cabell.vcu.edu>
Sed somthernet Brider
 Re

ions

Brian,

We use 3Com Bridge sroduVts which seem to work very well.les	idge was a seperate
company just recently bought by 3Com.  The Bridge sroducts seem to be fairly
maintainance free.

You did not give 894dt information in you mail message.  I would need to
know what are the distances between the Segments.

If mool want to spend very much money you could also use PCROUTE.  It is a
public domain software which run on annXT with 2 Western Digital cards in it.

I have tested it out and it seem to work fine as an ip rs a te You can n the mr
sovir6 by anonymous ftp from off the network.  I am not sure of the location
but if you an intce of Sfted send me a message back and I will send you the address.

4ood luck and if you net thr chance let me know what you decide onacc.raul C. Nunnally

Virginia Commonwealth University

internet -- pnunnal@cabell.vcu.edu

From: Mike Morris <corris@jade.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Sed somthernet iridge re
emmendations?

In article <2926@sharkey.cc.umich.0du> you write:

>Sf far I've looked a, and
rHdges from Micom, Raycom, Retix and DEC, are there
>any other vendors that I should try?

Sytek, for one.  Was recently bought by Hughes, now knows as Hughes LAN systems
or something like that.
f>Are there any brHan
s that I should avoid like the plague?

DEC LANbridge!  Ask for a copy of the archive of the hatemail to be mailed
to you.  There was quite a message thread going here for a while.

From: haas@wasatch.utah.edu (Walt Haas)
Subject: Re: Etherne, and
rHdg
for
e: 24 Ju e
ions?

I would advise you to check out the moolC Isolan bridge.e: 24 Ju : goodloe, qWn1ar on2.le aaunet.uu.netfSubject: Re: Etherne, do
&recommendewilc
Try mICC. We really like their produVts.

tony goodloee

To: haw%sharkey%mailrus.uucp@mailgw.cKeycOich.0724fSed somthernet brider
 re

ions?

    I'm not a big mooljock, but I have had to spec some
    mthernet equipment for a project I'm responsible for here.
    One vendor I didn't see in your uist was 3Com--(hey have
    some bridging and 26lng produVts.  Their IB/3 sroduct is
    fairly intelligent, and they also have an IB/2000 which is
    somewhat cheaper.  Oir sales rep in Greensboro is pretty
    helpful, and was also flexible on-) :-),e because he wants
    to break into our (fairly large) company.  I hope
    tud,eelps --
                                  Tom Groot
                                  (919) 992-2610

From: Tom Cervenka    <CTCT100%UICVMC.BITNET@UICVM.uic.edu>
Sebject:      mthernet Bridges

 > So far I've looked at brHan
s from Micom, uaycom, uetix and DEC, are there

.fther vendors that I should try?

 You might want to look at 3Com (formerlyles	idge Communications). They make a
 couple of moolbrHan
s as well as gateways. I used their SNAns mucVt
 in my previous job, but I don't have any real experience with the bridges
 except to say that I've Feard they're well designedrunning?eliable.
 3Com: 408-562-6400 , Santa Clara,                  RD I think.
 Tom Cervenka - University of GMT
Drlinois at Chicago
 Internet: ctct100@uicvmc.aiss.uiuc.edu   Bitnet: ctct100@uicvmc

-- 03:1an Wolfe                    Internet: