[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Terminology deplored

braden@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/19/89)

Recently I have noticed the rise of the word "gate" as a contraction of
"gateway", first in speech, then in messages, and recently in a draft
RFC.  To my eye and ear, this usage seems precious and slovenly.  The
English language is too marvelous a machine to deserve such
maltreatment.

   Bob Braden

jqj@HOGG.CC.UOREGON.EDU (07/22/89)

>Recently I have noticed the rise of the word "gate" as a contraction of
>"gateway" ...  The English language is too marvelous a machine to deserve
such maltreatment.

Here, here.  Although vigorous writing is concise, it is also precise.
The term "gate," and the term "gateway" when used in the loose ARPAnet
style, should both be banned when the intent is an IP-level router.
There is a perfectly good term, "router" that should be used instead,
so that "gateway" may be reserved for "application level gateways," one
step up the ARM from routers.

Only partially in jest, I remain,
    JQ Johnson, Dir., Network Services	voice:     503-686-4394
    Office of University Computing	Internet:  jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu
    University of Oregon		Bitnet:    jqj@oregon
    Eugene, OR  97403			UUCP:	   ...!uoregon!jqj

Mills@UDEL.EDU (07/22/89)

Bob,

Most fond that I am of nuance and mischief using our native tongue, may I
suggest that neither "gateway" is yours to keep nor "gate" any less
precious or more slovenly than "bridge," "router" or "intermediate system."
If it swings, opens, turns, switches or forwards, it's a gate; if it quacks
call it a duck.

Dave

jps@wucs1.wustl.edu (James Sterbenz) (07/25/89)

In article <8907181741.AA00283@zmb.isi.edu> braden@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:
>Recently I have noticed the rise of the word "gate" as a contraction of
>"gateway", first in speech, then in messages, and recently in a draft
>RFC.  To my eye and ear, this usage seems precious and slovenly.  The
>English language is too marvelous a machine to deserve such
>maltreatment.

It also overloads with the operating system usage for access into a
higher authorisation protection domain.  This usually would be clear from
context, but no reason to possibly confuse things when "gateway" is
already widely used and well understood.

Besides, as operating systems and communications become more integrated,
it is more likely that "gate" and "gateway" will have use in the same
document.

--
James Sterbenz  Computer and Communications Research Center
                Washington University in St. Louis      314-726-4203

hal@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (Hal Feinstein) (07/25/89)

We've been using the word "gate" in security work as a specific
kind of network security guard function.  The history of it's use goes back
at least a decade. The notion of gate in gateway seems to go back to
it's metaphorical core: For example, "Vienna, the gateway to the
West (East)"  etc. indicating a passage or entrance. Gate brings to
mind a security role, good for our use of the term but bad as a
shortcut for an entrance.