[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] RPC Library sources for System V

walter@focsys.UUCP (WalteR Steinemann) (05/31/89)

Has anybody out there ported the Sun RPC 3.9 code (which was posted to
comp.sources.unix for 4.[23]BSD) to System V?
Does anyone know if there is any other RPC library source code freely
available? If not, is there a binary available?

I need the library to build an NFS daemon for Interactive 386/ix 1.0.6,
so that I can get my DOS machines running NFS (from FTP Inc.).

Any help would be appreciated.

WalteR
--
Walter R. Steinemann -- Focus Automation Systems -- Waterloo, Ontario
                        watmath!focsys!walter       (519) 746-4918

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (06/03/89)

	RPC is a standard part of NFS, no? I recall (faintly) somewhere that
Interactive advertised this as part of their NFS product.

	I have a copy of their Host-based TCP-IP, and the RPC3.9 source code.
My experience is that with modification of the headers, I could get it to
compile, but it would crap-out at run-time. This was a few months ago, so I
don't recall the exact error. I will be trying again soon, however.

Alex Laney, Xicom Technologies.

uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (not alex@xicom.uucp)

hwajin@wrswrs.UUCP (Hwajin Bae) (06/09/89)

In article <111@xicom.UUCP> alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) writes:

>	RPC is a standard part of NFS, no? I recall (faintly) somewhere that
>Interactive advertised this as part of their NFS product.
>
>	I have a copy of their Host-based TCP-IP, and the RPC3.9 source code.
>My experience is that with modification of the headers, I could get it to
>compile, but it would crap-out at run-time. This was a few months ago, so I
>don't recall the exact error. I will be trying again soon, however.

If you have their NFS for the SVR3 UNIX and TCP/IP (probably Lachman derived),
you should be able to use RPC3.9 with minor modifications.

RPC implementation is, in a way, duplicated in most Unix implementations
-- the one in the kernel code which is being used by NFS and linked
into the kernel itself usually and the one that is provided as user
level library for application use.  Since RPC library used in normal
application programs are built entirely on top of socket library you
should have no problem if you have a compatible 4.3 BSD TCP/IP and socket
library with your system, which I assume you do.  If your TCP/IP doesn't
implement all necessary socket calls, socket options, and ioctl's
you may run into some problems.  What kind of modifications did you have
to make to the header files?

--
{uunet,rtech,sun}!wrs!hwajin  bae@tis.llnl.gov  hwajin@wrs.com

warrens@SUN.COM (Warren Smith) (06/14/89)

RPC/XDR is a necessary component of NFS, but it is not a "part" of
NFS any more than IP is.  We demonstrated NFS over OSI connectionless
transports more than 2 years ago, for instance.

RPCSRC 3.9 (I assume that this was what you meant by RPC 3.9) is a
reference implementation of the RPC/XDR libraries.  The reference base
is BSD, not System V.  It is a "freely licensed" piece of code.

You shouldn't expect it to run on top of Interactive's IP stack unless
the socket interface that you got from Interactive is the same as
Berkeley's 4.3.  Headers may be only part of the problem.  RPCSRC 3.9
is not what ships with any particular vendors implementation of NFS.
RPC does, but not RPCSRC (which is a particular instantiation of RPC).
The interface to the RPC libraries should be the same across all
implementations (I would like to hear, if this is not true).

It sounds like you did not get the RPC from Interactive.  Why not?
Don't they supply it external to NFS?

You are welcome to share any changes that you make to RPCSRC for
creating a reference version for Interactive's socket interface.
Just leave the copyright notices intact, so that others are also
allowed "freely licensed" access to the code you send out.

By the way, there is a RPCSRC 4.0 available in the sun-spots newsgroup
at Rice University.  It was supposed to have made it into comp.sources
last March, but I am not sure if it has actually gotten out yet.  This
release contains Secure RPC, which has an improved authentication
mechanism.  It also assumes a 4.3BSD base.

-Warren A. Smith
Sun Microsystems

----- End Included Message -----

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (06/20/89)

In article <647@wrs.UUCP>, hwajin@wrswrs.UUCP (Hwajin Bae) writes:

> If you have their NFS for the SVR3 UNIX and TCP/IP (probably Lachman derived),
> you should be able to use RPC3.9 with minor modifications.

I don't have their NFS. Their Host-based TCP-IP doesn't include it. With
their TCP-IP you could support System V Remote File System, not NFS, or
RPC. It did include the BSD networking daemons.
> ... If your TCP/IP doesn't
> implement all necessary socket calls, socket options, and ioctl's
> you may run into some problems.  What kind of modifications did you have
> to make to the header files?

The failure I got WAS in an ioctl call.

The mods I made were to change some of the #include lines that referred to
BSD includes, and substituted or added the include lines to refer to where
Interactive put them on my system. It compiled with no other problems.

I am now going to try with the other TCP-IP they supply, which supports an
Interlan board (NP600) exclusively. My interest is to support Xicom's own
product (SNA gateway) over TCP-IP lines. I hope that I can do it without
clashing with RPC products.

--
Alex Laney, Xicom Technologies Corp., Ottawa, Canada (613) 728-9099
uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (NOT alex@xicom)     Fax: (613) 728-1134

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (06/20/89)

In article <8906141633.AA01919@sunned.sun.com>, warrens@SUN.COM (Warren Smith) writes:

When I hear the acronym NFS, I immediately think Sun's NFS running on a
TCP-IP Ethernet. And that is based on RPC.

> It sounds like you did not get the RPC from Interactive.  Why not?
> Don't they supply it external to NFS?

I haven't bought NFS either. I got their TCP-IP as part of being a
registered Independent Software Vendor, and developing for their X-11
Windowing System. Interactive's X depended on TCP-IP libraries for their
Alpha release.

We here at Xicom are in a really early stage of investigating available
TCP-IP packages for System V/386 systems and LANs. I looked at RPC, because
I was given a manual for Netwise, Inc.'s NETWISE product. This is similar
in function to Sun RPC, but is somewhat more high-level. You can port
Netwise's product to any Network by describing a RPC specification
(describing procedures to make a call to a remote procedure) and split
your application across a network. It doesn't assume any specific type
of network library. They do sell pre-configured versions however.

Anyways, my point really was that I had seen an Interactive brochure that
listed RPC as part of THEIR NFS product. I stand corrected if I recall
                      ^^^^^
this incorrectly. (A lot of brochures go by my desk)

> You are welcome to share any changes that you make to RPCSRC for
> creating a reference version for Interactive's socket interface.
> Just leave the copyright notices intact, so that others are also
> allowed "freely licensed" access to the code you send out.

I wasn't really planning to release anything. If we support Interactive's
TCP-IP/NFS/RPC, then we will have to buy it from them. It's the price of
admission. I'm quite willing to share my experiences with anyone, but it
hasn't been that serious a study so far.

> By the way, there is a RPCSRC 4.0 available in the sun-spots newsgroup
> at Rice University.  It was supposed to have made it into comp.sources
> last March, but I am not sure if it has actually gotten out yet.  This
> release contains Secure RPC, which has an improved authentication
> mechanism.  It also assumes a 4.3BSD base.

My news feed was missing for most of April and May, so I may have missed
Sun RPC 4.0. Anyone know for certain if it has been posted?

--

sxn@SUN.COM (Stephen X. Nahm) (06/23/89)

In article <120@xicom.UUCP> alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) writes:
>My news feed was missing for most of April and May, so I may have missed
>Sun RPC 4.0. Anyone know for certain if it has been posted?

Not that I know of.  I sent an upgrade package (RPCSRC 3.9-to-4.0) to the
comp.sources.unix moderator in November; still hasn't shown up here.

But you can get the full RPCSRC 4.0 package from several places:

1) It appeared on the Sun User's group "SEX" tape in the rpc4.0 directory.

2) It is available via anonymous ftp from bcm.tmc.edu and from the
   archive-server@bcm.tmc.edu.  If you use the archive server, send mail to
   archive-server@bcm.tmc.edu with a Subject of "send nfs index" to see all the
   names of the files.  There are 17 shar files in RPCSRC and 4 for secure rpc.

3) I also dropped it off at titan.rice.edu (the sun-spots archive).  It was
   still sitting in the "incoming" ftp directory there the last time I looked.

You can also order it from Sun for $100, but if the tape isn't in stock it will
take several weeks to get it.  Call 800-USA-4SUN and ask for:

    RPC-4.0-X-X-5   For 1/4" cartridge tar tape
    RPC-4.0-X-X-6   For 1/2" 1600BPI tar tape; or

The major new thing in RPCSRC 4.0 over 3.9 (besides some minor bug fixes and
enhancements) is the inclusion of Secure RPC.  Unfortunately, I could not
include any DES code, which is required.  (The rest of RPCSRC 4.0 was set up to
not require Secure RPC, so the main library still works.)  I'm hoping to get
some time to write an interface between the Secure RPC code and the DES code
that was posted to comp.sources.unix a while back.  (Has anyone already done
this?)

--
Steve Nahm                              sxn@sun.COM or sun!sxn

warrens@SUN.COM (Warren Smith) (07/22/89)

john@smosjc.UUCP (John Conover) (08/02/89)

In article <8906141633.AA01919@sunned.sun.com>, warrens@SUN.COM (Warren Smith) writes:
> RPC/XDR is a necessary component of NFS, but it is not a "part" of
> NFS any more than IP is.  We demonstrated NFS over OSI connectionless
> transports more than 2 years ago, for instance.

Where are the sources for RPC available on magnetic media?
	Thanks,
	John
	..uunet!smosjc!john