[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Evaluating Network Performance

sgb@SPARTA.COM (Scott Bramhall) (07/25/89)

I am posting this for a co-worker who has not subscribed
to the mailing list.  Please address replies via e-mail
	caf@sparta.com

Thanks!
------------------------------------

I am interested in measuring network throughput given different
implementations of network security services.  Before jumping
blindly into the fray, I am trying to determine what has already
been done in the area.  Does anyone know helpful methods or tools
for measuring network performance?  Can anyone tell me about
previous work performed evaluating network implementations?
Suggested reading would also be appreciated.  Please respond
directly to   caf@sparta.com   and I will have a summary posted
later.
		Thank you,

		Craig Franklin

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (08/01/89)

I would  be interested in knowing if there are any "standard"
benchmarks by which to evaluate TCP/IP implementations across a
variety of different vendor products.  Any information that you can
provide would be most appreciated.

Gary Barrett
Unisys
Devon Engineering Facility
Wayne, PA

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (08/01/89)

In article <727@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM>, gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) writes:

> I would  be interested in knowing if there are any "standard"
> benchmarks by which to evaluate TCP/IP implementations across a
> variety of different vendor products.
>
> Gary Barrett
> Unisys
> Devon Engineering Facility
> Wayne, PA

Sorry to mention this again, but people keep asking.  I promise to shut up
about it for at least 6 weeks.

BRL's Mike Muuss's ttcp is the only reasonable one I know of.  It was not
written at a vendor.  It is flexible about buffer sizes and so forth.  It
does both UDP and TCP.  It is more accurate than some "blast" tests which
tend to measure the remote "inetd" as much as the transport.  It does not
test file system performance, unlike the common use of ftp.  File systems'
performance varies by a factor of >100, and while that is interesting, a
file system is not usually a layer 3 or 4 service.  Ttcp is free.

Ttcp unfortunately does not average several runs.  It also uses sockets
and not TLI.  However, since most current applications use sockets, one
could say that makes ttcp more, not less fair and accurate.  It is a UNIX
creature, and so would require porting to other systems.

If there is a better benchmark by the preceding criteria, I would like
a copy of it.

You can ftp a copy of ttcp.c from sgi.sgi.com or 192.26.63.16 in sgi/src/ttcp.c

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (08/04/89)

I am interested in getting the program but only have uucp.  How about a posting if enough people are interested.
--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Hughes LAN Systems, Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (08/07/89)

Right now, I have no way to access ttcp.c source.  Is it possible for
someone to post the source on the net?

Thanks a lot if you can.