[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] will PCroute do this for me?

randy@oetl.UUCP (Randy O'Meara) (08/26/89)

	Well, I've just exceeded the maximum cable length of my thinwire
	ethernet.  I picked up PCroute2.0 and PCbridge hoping that I would
	be able to simply extend my ethernet.  PCbridge worked a treat, but
	then I started thinking; ``what about future problems like this'',
	and I took a look at PCroute.  It looked like a simple, inexpensive
	answer that would fulfill my needs for some time to come.  It offered
	slip support which I will need real soon.

	Please bear with me as I am new to subnetting.

	I have only a class C IP address of 192.34.233.x, so I decided to
	grab 3 bits of the host address portion for subnetting.  This will
	allow 7 subnets of 29 hosts each.

	I've set up a test network that consists of the following:

	    Net A (192.34.233.[33..62]) encompasses the following hosts:
		ADDR	NODE	COMMENT
		...33	oetl1	HP series 300 (HP-UX 6.2)
		...34	oetl	HP series 200 (HP-UX 5.15)
		...38	snowyA	AT clone w/ PCroute (1st WD interface at 280h)
		...39	grumpy	AT clone running PC-NFS

	    NET G (192.34.233.[225..254]) encompasses the following hosts:
		ADDR	NODE	COMMENT
		...225	snowyG	AT clone w/ PCroute (2nd WD interface at 2a0h)
		...226	sneezy	VAX 11/750 (VMS 5.1) running CMU TCP/IP

	Question 1: How do I (or can I) configure PCroute to pass
		    packets to the different subnets transparently?
		    I would like this to look like a single network.
		    I'm not running routed on any of my machines.

	Question 2: Do I have to tell all of the hosts that they are
		    subnetting, or will PCroute deal with all of that?

	Question 3: Presuming that there is an answer to Question 1,
		    What should I expect when I `ping' snowyA from oetl1?
		    What should I expect when I `ping' snowyG from oetl1?

	Email or post as you see fit.  Thanks.

--
Randy O'Meara		randy@oetl.Scf.Lockheed.Com
(408) 425-6249		...{pyramid,leadsv,lstc}!oetl!randy

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (08/27/89)

In article <479@oetl1.oetl.UUCP>, randy@oetl.Scf.Lockheed.Com wrote:
>Question 1: How do I (or can I) configure PCroute to pass
>	     packets to the different subnets transparently?
>	     I would like this to look like a single network.
>	     I'm not running routed on any of my machines.

You can do that by enabling Proxy ARP on the Ethernet interface
of each of the PC routers.

>Question 2: Do I have to tell all of the hosts that they are
>	     subnetting, or will PCroute deal with all of that?

Proxy ARP would hide the subnetting details from all the hosts.

>Question 3: Presuming that there is an answer to Question 1,
>	     What should I expect when I `ping' snowyA from oetl1?
>	     What should I expect when I `ping' snowyG from oetl1?

Both ping's would work, and the ping which has to go over the SLIP
line will take a bit longer.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam   <skl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca> or {uunet,ubc-cs}!van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca!skl