[net.jobs] AI recruitment and etc.

tlr@umcp-cs.UUCP (Terry L. Ridder) (01/04/86)

I am posting this in response to several pieces of mail that I have
received in response to my last posting about MDEE and her postings.

I did not say in any of my postings that I did not like people in
the AI field or did not like AI. I have worked in the AI field, I have
worked with ART, KEE, S1, M1, and others. I have three years of
programming in LISP. Some of my favorite computers are LISP machines.

What I did say in my posting was that I feel that MDEE is using the
net in fashion that it is not meant to be used. She is using the net
to *PROFIT* from. She is avoiding expenses that she should be paying
for. How many people out in net land want Source EDP on the net?
How about all the other headhunters, who could rightly claim that
since MDEE did it we can to. Just because MDEE has a computer, so do
the other headhunters, that does not give her the *right* to *freeload*
on the net, and by doing so *risk* the net and its future.

Signed
Terry L. Ridder
(Please respond to the iiasavax address during the month of Jan)
--
Terry L. Ridder
14728 4th St. #301

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (01/05/86)

The primary critereon for making this decision (which seems to be
"should headhunters be allowed to post job openings to the net?")
should be whether such postings are primarily of benefit to the
net, or to the poster.  If the net derives significant benefit
from the posting, then the fact that it's commercial use by the
headhunter shouldn't matter.

From where I sit, I suspect that the answer is that a single
posting such as we just saw doesn't hurt anything, and there
were several people who seemed interested (at least generically.)
On the other hand, if every headhunter in the world started posting
all their openings, I suspect we'd have a problem.  Certainly there's
a problem if the volume or visibility becomes significant.  (In addition
to the cost in phone bills, CPU time, disk space, and person time to
send around all the postings, commercial companies would be concerned
about such postings being run under the noses of their employees.)

I propose that we adopt the following policy:

Postings for job openings, items for sale, and the like, by third
parties will be allowed, as long as the total volume does not exceed
some threshold.  (One article per day, netwide, might be one possibility
for the threshold.)  When the average volume over a one-month period
exceeds this threshold, the privilege is cancelled, and no more third
party postings at all will be permitted.

	Mark Horton

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (01/05/86)

In article <1731@cbosgd.UUCP> mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) writes:
>Postings for job openings, items for sale, and the like, by third
>parties will be allowed, as long as the total volume does not exceed
>some threshold.  (One article per day, netwide, might be one possibility
>for the threshold.)  When the average volume over a one-month period
>exceeds this threshold, the privilege is cancelled, and no more third
>party postings at all will be permitted.
>
>	Mark Horton

I second the motion, all in favor say AYE!
--
David Herron,  cbosgd!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET, soon, david@uky.csnet.

tp@ndm20 (01/10/86)

>Postings for job openings, items for sale, and the like, by third
>parties will be allowed, as long as the total volume does not exceed
>some threshold.  (One article per day, netwide, might be one possibility
>for the threshold.)  When the average volume over a one-month period
>exceeds this threshold, the privilege is cancelled, and no more third
>party postings at all will be permitted.
>
>	Mark Horton

And then we come back to "How do you enforce this?"  I don't see that
you can.  If mdee's feed doesn't cut her off, what can you do?  There
is no authority here.   You  can promote  a policy  and badger people
into keeping it.  That is how the net currently does things.   But if
you grant a privilege, you  set a  precedent.   You won't  be able to
cancel it.

I suggest if we are to  adopt guidelines,  they must  be adopted from
the start in a form we believe to be sufficient  for the  future.  As
such, I'd go back to the criteria for net.announce in  coming up with
such a guideline:  the  message should  be of  more value  to the net
than the poster (someone else just made this point, but nobody seemed
to notice).

mdee's message seems to me to violate this, as it doesn't give enough
info for a prospective job candidate to evaluate the  position.  Thus
it is a lure to get people on the phone.   She cannot  of course post
the name of the company, as she'd lose her commission  (who'd be fool
enough to call her if they could go direct to the  company?), but she
should post more details (location,  nature of  work, etc.)   so that
people  could  make  an  intelligent  decision  on  whether they were
interested.  The article as posted is merely an ad, but it could have
been posted in a form that would have  been perfectly  valid for this
newsgroup.

The form of her message leads  me to  wonder whether  this job exists
(she could just be trying to get a line on people of  a specified set
of qualifications) or even if it does, if it was  purposely stated in
such a way as to draw an excess number of inquiries.  If such was the
intent, it seems obvious to me that this  is misuse  of the  net.  If
the item were  more informative,  it would  leave less  room for such
interpretations of its intent.

slf@panda.UUCP (Scott Fisher) (01/16/86)

In article <2691@umcp-cs.UUCP> tlr@umcp-cs.UUCP (Terry L. Ridder) writes:

>What I did say in my posting was that I feel that MDEE is using the
>net in fashion that it is not meant to be used. She is using the net
>to *PROFIT* from. She is avoiding expenses that she should be paying
>for. How many people out in net land want Source EDP on the net?
>How about all the other headhunters, who could rightly claim that
>since MDEE did it we can to. Just because MDEE has a computer, so do
>the other headhunters, that does not give her the *right* to *freeload*
>on the net, and by doing so *risk* the net and its future.
>
>Signed
>Terry L. Ridder
>PHONE: 301-490-2248 (home)

I don't think MDEE is trying to *avoid* paying for anything, just
using the most logical medium to reach the type of people who are
interested in finding the type of job she has. I read this group to
find out what qualifications employers are looking for so that I can
study the proper courses in school to make myself marketable. In my
opinion, she is doing much more for the net than people who wine about
"using the net in a fashion that it is not ment to be used".  Your
self-rightous attitude is more of a *risk* to the net than MDEE's
postings.

      [decvax,linus,wjh12,mit-eddie,cbosgd,masscomp]!genrad!teddy!slf