[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Reliability of TCP/IP

story@can503.UUCP (Robert Story) (08/24/89)

We are thinking of implementing TCP/IP and one my co-workers says that he
has heard that TCP/IP is not reliable for file transfers.  Comments?
Thanks!
--
[ Robert Story    ..{!utzoo!censor,!uunet!zardoz!avcoint}!avcocan!story     ]
[ SnailMail : AFS 201 Queens Avenue London Ontario Canada N6A 1J1           ]

karl@asylum.SF.CA.US (Karl Auerbach) (08/27/89)

In article <294@can503.UUCP> story@avcocan (Robert Story) writes:

>We are thinking of implementing TCP/IP and one my co-workers says that he
>has heard that TCP/IP is not reliable for file transfers.  Comments?

TCP *is* reliable.  The chances of bad data are extremely small.  (No
prototol can guarantee perfect reliability -- not SNA, not OSI.)

This brings to mind another bit of mis-information:  Seems that down
in Los Angeles some IBM-oriented MIS group was saying, in a knowing
authoritative voice, that Ethernet should not be used to carry
financial information because it has collisions and drops digits.  And
since token rings don't have collisions, they don't lose digits and
are thus much better for moving critical data!

			--karl--

karn@ka9q.bellcore.com (Phil Karn) (08/27/89)

In article <3582@asylum.SF.CA.US> karl@asylum.UUCP (Karl Auerbach) writes:

>This brings to mind another bit of mis-information:  Seems that down
>in Los Angeles some IBM-oriented MIS group was saying, in a knowing
>authoritative voice, that Ethernet should not be used to carry
>financial information because it has collisions and drops digits.  And
>since token rings don't have collisions, they don't lose digits and
>are thus much better for moving critical data!

Yes, token rings don't have collisions. But some DO occasionally duplicate
packets (examples on request). I'd sure like to see the faces of the MIS
financial types when they learn this little tidbit. Better yet, let me see
if I can get my employer to use a token ring when they transfer my pay into
my checking account. :-)

Phil

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (08/28/89)

In article <3582@asylum.SF.CA.US> karl@asylum.UUCP (Karl Auerbach) writes:
> Seems that down in Los Angeles some IBM-oriented MIS group was saying,
> in a knowing authoritative voice, that Ethernet should not be used to carry
> financial information because it has collisions and drops digits.

	I remember reading (handwave: about 2 years ago, in RISKS-DIGEST)
about a hospital which was putting in a network.  They had pretty much
decided on ethernet, when some suit found out about collisions: "You mean
sometimes data is transmitted and network errors cause it to be lost!?  We
can't have any data get lost in a hospital!"  And so they decided that they
couldn't use ethernet.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

kasten@interlan.interlan.COM (Frank Kastenholz) (08/28/89)

TCP/IP as a suite IS reliable (or at least as reliable as the rest of the
network world:-). Where the confusion may have arisen is that IP, in and
of itself is NOT reliable. In a middle to large sized network, IP datagrams
can and ARE dropped, lost, duplicated, corrupted, misordered, etc, etc.
The TCP layer corrects for this. To quote from the TCP Spec (RFC 793):

	"This document focuses its attention primarily on ....
	computer communication requirements, especially robustness
	in the presence of communication unreliability and availability
	in the presence of congestion"

and
	"Very few assumptions are made as to the reliability of the
	communication protocols below the TCP layer. TCP assumes it can
	obtain a simple, potentially unreliable datagram service from the
	lower level protocols."

and finally,

	"The TCP must recover from data that is damaged, lost, duplicated,
	or delivered out of order by the internet communication system."

TCP/IP is reliable.

Cheers
Frank Kastenholz
Racal InterLan

patterso@hardees.rutgers.edu (Ross Patterson) (08/31/89)

Frank Kastenholz <kasten@interlan.interlan.COM> writes:
>TCP/IP as a suite IS reliable (or at least as reliable as the rest of the
>network world:-). Where the confusion may have arisen is that IP, in and
>of itself is NOT reliable.

Reliable has  several  definitions.    Webster offers  "suitable or  fit to be
relied on" and "giving the same result on successive trials".   TCP as defined
in the RFCs meets both, but as  implemented in  many cases,  fails the latter.
In particular,  the  "keepalive  abomination"  causes  connections  that might
otherwise survive  brief  outages or  reconfigurations.   MIS departments (the
original message cited one) generally understand a  third definition, embodied
in the  IBMism  "RAS" (Reliability,  Availability and  Servicability):  "safe,
tested, designed to avoid problems".   Any system  that aborts  a 100MByte FTP
that's already 85% complete because an intervening gateway was rebooted flunks
this.  Proper use of exponential backoff and avoidance of keepalives put the R
back in RAS.  Just ask Phil ("I Hate KeepAlives") Karns, who  has reported FTP
sessions that succeeded after being  interrupted for  *days* in  the ham radio
world, where such things are done right.

Ross Patterson
Rutgers University

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (09/01/89)

From article <3582@asylum.SF.CA.US>, by karl@asylum.SF.CA.US (Karl Auerbach):
> This brings to mind another bit of mis-information:  Seems that down
> in Los Angeles some IBM-oriented MIS group was saying, in a knowing
> authoritative voice, that Ethernet should not be used to carry
> financial information because it has collisions and drops digits.  And
> since token rings don't have collisions, they don't lose digits and
> are thus much better for moving critical data!

Gosh!  You mean... that *isn't true*?!?