[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] does anyone use ip options?

jpeck@hpspdra.HP.COM (Joe Peck) (08/29/89)

I have a few question about IP options.

	How often are they used?  How common is it to see IP frames
	with options in the header?

	What programs cause IP options to be used?  I know that there
	is a version of PING that supports the IP Record Route option.
	What other programs invoke IP options?

	Do most or all IP implementations support IP options?  I don't
	want to start any finger pointing, I'm just interested in
	whether the majority do or don't provide option support.

Thanks,

Joe Peck

cire@CISCO.COM (cire|eric) (08/29/89)

>> Date: 28 Aug 89 17:39:37 GMT
>> From: hpl-opus!hpspdra!jpeck@hplabs.hp.com  (Joe Peck)
>> Subject: Does anyone use IP options?
>>
>> I have a few question about IP options.
>>
>> 	How often are they used?  How common is it to see IP frames
>> 	with options in the header?

It isn't very common.  There was a time when certain options in the packet
would cause certain hosts to crash.

>> 	What programs cause IP options to be used?  I know that there
>> 	is a version of PING that supports the IP Record Route option.
>> 	What other programs invoke IP options?

It is entirely up to the OS implementation to allow access to that level.
Most do not.  SUNOS does provide the interfaces and there are a number of
administration tools that exist that take advantage (ie. traceroute).

cisco routers provide the functionality for ping via the extended commands.
Various things can be specified including Loose Source Route, Strict
Source Route, Record Route, and Time stamp.

>> 	Do most or all IP implementations support IP options?  I don't
>> 	want to start any finger pointing, I'm just interested in
>> 	whether the majority do or don't provide option support.

It depends on the implementation.  I haven't heard of a crash blamed on
options in quite a while so I suspect that most implementations coexist
peacefully.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joe Peck

-c
cire|eric

Eric B. Decker
cisco Systems - engineering
Menlo Park, California

email:	cire@cisco.com
uSnail: 1360 Willow Rd.,  Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone : (415) 326-1941

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (08/29/89)

Joe,

Los Alamos National Laboratory is requiring network source from
workstation vendors in order to incorporate the extended security
option in workstations which communicate with our Central Computing
Facility (CCF).  SunOS 4.x, VAX BSD4.3 and CRAY UNICOS kernels have
been modified so far.  The option must be copied on fragmentation and
is used in all packets which pass through the CCF router(s).
Consequently, we need a mechanism which allows us to set up this
feature during an initial authentication session for a user, as well as
incorporate the option in every IP packet no matter what the IP
based application (Telnet, NeWS, X-Windows, etc.).  Also, server(remote)
initiated applications (such as X or NeWS) require that the
option be incorporated for the duration of a session by the client(local)
applications peer.  Think full duplex.

None of the software we have looked at (maybe with the exception of
FTP, Inc.) allows for other options besides source routing.  Also,
it is more difficult to incorporate in UDP based applications, at least on 4.3BSD based systems.

Phil Wood,  cpw@lanl.gov

pprindev@wellfleet.com (Philip Prindeville) (08/29/89)

> How often are they used?  How common is it to see IP frames
> with options in the header?

Perhaps some MERIT people can tell us if they have collected
any data using NNSTAT.

> Do most or all IP implementations support IP options?  I don't
> want to start any finger pointing, I'm just interested in
> whether the majority do or don't provide option support.

The implementation of options is mandatory (in RFC-790).  However,
some hosts don't implement it correctly (like 4.2 systems crash
on LSRR options or misinterpret the ordering of the LSRR field)
and several PC implementations don't include options (but then
what do you expect from a PC?).

There was an RFC-to-be circulating about a year (or so) ago
describing the interpretation of LSRR/SSRR.  It never came out,
which is a bit of a shame.  Perhaps Jon can resurrect it?

-Philip

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (08/30/89)

In article <8908290825.AA23996@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
 cire@CISCO.COM (cire|eric) writes:

>It depends on the implementation.  I haven't heard of a crash blamed on
>options in quite a while so I suspect that most implementations coexist
>peacefully.

	That's what I thought, too, until someone new to NEARnet went
out a couple of months ago and accidentally crashed an old jvncnet vax
router in our backyard named coventry.mit.edu, using record route or
source route, from one of our cisco routers.  Fortunately for me, I
had hesitated to explore much with these options based on the sage
advice of my colleagues here at BU.  :-)  At any rate, still somewhat
of a surprise, given that coventry was such a strategic resource.

	Fortunately, while coventry still lives, it no longer routes,
so if it continues to crash it has little effect.  Sorry, Dave, don't
know if it is available to run network time protocols.

	BTW, if I can interject a little operational comment in this
list, those of you experiencing severe difficulty in reaching us up
here is the Northeast (NEARnet country) should be finding things much
better these days, after some critical, chronic problems were
dispatched this week.  (I knew I shouldn't have said anything!  All my
snmpxmon displays just went dotted!     :-)  Thanks to those who took
the trouble to sent us reports from faraway.

	--Kent England, Boston U, etc

dls@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (David L Stevens) (08/30/89)

	The current version of the NSC EN641 router code we have drops (not
ignores, DROPS) packets with IP Record Route.
	Just to point out that even if your hosts do options, you might have
troubles if your gateways (or someone else's) don't. Source route, record
route, security compartment, etc. aren't very useful unless everyone you
want to talk to and everyone in between honor them.
	We need a network death squad... "Youse gateway get outta line an'
we gonna hit ya. Guido, show him what ICMP can do..."
--
					+-DLS  (dls@mentor.cc.purdue.edu)

Dave_Katz@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (08/31/89)

> > How often are they used?  How common is it to see IP frames
> > with options in the header?

> Perhaps some MERIT people can tell us if they have collected
> any data using NNSTAT.

Merit does indeed use NNStat to track interesting things in the NSFnet
backbone, but we do not currently gather statistics regarding the use
of IP options.

pprindev@wellfleet.com (Philip Prindeville) (09/06/89)

> 	The current version of the NSC EN641 router code we have drops (not
> ignores, DROPS) packets with IP Record Route.
> 	Just to point out that even if your hosts do options, you might have
> troubles if your gateways (or someone else's) don't. Source route, record
> route, security compartment, etc. aren't very useful unless everyone you
> want to talk to and everyone in between honor them.

Version 5.10 is being prepared for release.  It includes all the options
(even MTU) except ESO/BSO.  It should be available from NSC sometime in
the next quarter.  If you have arrangements for beta-testing with NSC,
and you have an urgent need, this may be worth pursuing.

-Philip

jpeck@hpspdra.HP.COM (Joe Peck) (09/06/89)

Thanks for all your responses.  They confirmed my suspicions about
how well options are handled by devices out there:  some work, some
don't, eventually the situation might improve.  I'm just interested
in traffic analysis, so you don't need to worry about me creating
another IP implementation that doesn't handle options.

I have the impression that the most commonly used IP options are
the routing ones, Record Route, Loose Source Routing, and Strict
Source Routing.  Would anyone like to comment on this?

Thanks again,

Joe Peck

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (09/07/89)

look for the security options to show up more and more.

"thats right, dont you dare look into this packet, its secure!"

stev knowles
stev@ftp.com

"The only use I can see for IP security options is an Internet poker game."
				- William A. Brackenridg