[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Printing in a Heterogeneous environment

RIDOUT@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (Brian Ridout AFWL/SCEV (av) 244-1654 (505) 844-1654) (09/07/89)

A while back someone asked for suggestions for printing in a heterogeneous
environmment. Several Unix and VMS type machines.  I haven't seen the
summery posted so if some one has a summery please email it to me.  I am
intrested in the VMS TCP/IP solutions.

Thanks

Brian Ridout
ridout@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil

hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (09/08/89)

In article <2187@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil> RIDOUT@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (Brian Ridout AFWL/SCEV (av) 244-1654 (505) 844-1654) writes:
>A while back someone asked for suggestions for printing in a heterogeneous
>environmment. Several Unix and VMS type machines.  I haven't seen the
>summery posted so if some one has a summery please email it to me.  I am
>intrested in the VMS TCP/IP solutions.

I am the "guilty" party!  I've been busy for several weeks moving
offices, and haven't quite regrouped yet.

I received several suggestions in response to my query:

(1) lpr, supported natively under UNIX, and by various third party
    TCP/IP solutions for VMS and MVS (assuming one has a front end
    processor for the IBM system, of course).  Not all fep's support
    lpr, and some only unidirectionally (into the IBM, usually
    spooled into a JES queue).

(2) Project Athena's Palladium distributed print spooling system.
    This appears to be quite a sophisticated and viable solution,
    if one can afford to go strictly TCP/IP.  It operates under a
    client-server model, much like lpr, but the similarities stop
    there.  It uses Hesiod for name services, Kerberos for
    authentication services, and Zephyr for notification services.

    To my knowledge, neither the client nor server software has
    been ported to VMS or other non-UNIX platforms.

    For more information on Palladium, reference the Usenix
    Conference Proceedings, Winter 1988 (Dallas).

    I also have an 8 or 10 page document (Postscript format),
    compliments of a friend at MIT and published by several DEC
    and OSF employees, which describes Palladium.  If anyone is
    interested, please request via email to me, not by posting.

(3) NJE, which is native to the IBM world, is supported under
    VMS by JNET, and under UNIX by UREP (UNIX RSCS Emulation
    Program).

(4) The University of Illinois has a home-grown distributed
    printing system, which appears very well architected.
    Like Palladium, it is TCP/IP-based, runs under UNIX, and
    it interfaces with lpr.  It also has an accounting component.

(5) Delft University of Technology (Delft, Holland) also has
    developed a TCP/IP-based lpr-like system, with enhancements
    for accounting, filtering, and more.

I have contacts at Illinois and Delft, but am unwilling to
broadcast names or detailed information without permission.
Contact me via email if you're interested.

I think this sums it up, for the most part.  Thanks for prompting
me to share this information.

|| Larry J. Hughes, Senior Programmer ||  hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu   ||
||        Indiana University          ||                                   ||
||   University Computing Services    ||  "The person who knows everything ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass     ||     has a lot to learn."          ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405        ||                                   ||
||         (812) 855-9255             ||  Disclaimer: See quote above.     ||