[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Encore Annex Terminal server dies as NSFNET grows.

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (09/01/89)

For all you lucky folks with the above box on your network.

The Internet has reached a point where if you share the routing
information with one of these boxes it will run out of memory and
quit.  The Annex, not the network.  This Annex processes RIP messages
with the BSD 'routed' application.  Apparently, one cannot substitute a
default static route to a smart gateway for 'routed'.  Routed cannot be
turned off.

We have always indicated to our host administrators that running routed
in our environment was not a good idea.  Instead, in our network a
simple static route to a smart gateway is sufficient.

Encore has been informed.

Phil Wood,  cpw@lanl.gov

Dave_Katz@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (09/04/89)

Encore has a fix that UMich was able to get in beta test.  It
allows one to turn off RIP listening via "na".

medin@NSIPO.ARC.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (09/04/89)

Phil, that's not quite true.  From na you can set an annex parameter
that shuts off routed.  The gateways file the annex downloads can contain
a static default if that's what you want.  In general, if 4.3 BSD
can do it, so can the annex...

BTW, Annexen (?) are now built by Xylogics Inc, and I've found support is
much better since they took over.

						Thanks,
 						   Milo

PS This parameter is available in R4.1 (which we run), but I'm not quite
sure how far back it goes.  If you aren't running 4.1, you should, it's
got lots of neat stuff in it...

alan@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) (09/07/89)

In article <8909040510.AA21672@nsipo.arc.nasa.gov> medin@NSIPO.ARC.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) writes:

>PS This parameter is available in R4.1 (which we run), but I'm not quite
>sure how far back it goes.  If you aren't running 4.1, you should, it's
>got lots of neat stuff in it...

The routed parameter is new to R4.1.
/a

jbx@datacube.datacube.com (John Boudreaux) (09/09/89)

In article <1850@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> alan@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) writes:
>>PS This parameter is available in R4.1 (which we run), but I'm not quite
>>sure how far back it goes.  If you aren't running 4.1, you should, it's
>>got lots of neat stuff in it...

Hey im still on 4.0 how can i go about getting 4.1?

			jbx@datacube.com
				uunet!datacube!jbx
I dont even exist for someone to care what i write about