[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] WD8003EBT

702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET (bill gunshannon) (08/26/89)

I have acquired an interesting Ethernet Card.  The number is WD8003EBT
and it only vaguely resembles my other WD8003E cards.  Anybody know what
the real differences are or if there is likely to be any problem making
it work?
The jumpers are all in different places but seem to follow the same
numbering scheme so I think I can probably configure it if I can findout
what all the other jumpers do.

Just fishing for info.

                                       bill gunshannon
                                    702wfg@scrvmsys.bitnet

CALIFFM@BAYLOR.BITNET (Michael Califf) (09/08/89)

Bill -

I too got a couple of WD8003EBT boards (they came in a filtering bridge
which we junked shortly after purchase.)  We were able to get them working
in our environment (TOPS/NCSA Telnet) after downloading the docs from
Western Digital's BBS (714) 852-8951.  If you cannot get access to a modem
let me know and I can forward the info to you.

From talking to the WD tech support, the 8003EBT is just a 8003E with
support for a boot prom, and some restrictions about RAM buffer size and
location.

Mike Califf
Communications Software Coord  Internet: CALIFFM@BAYLOR.CCIS.BAYLOR.EDU
Baylor University C.C.I.S.     Bitnet:   CALIFFM@BAYLOR
B.U. Box 7268                  THEnet:   BAYLOR::CALIFFM
Waco, TX 76798-7268            Phone:    (817) 755-2711

glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) (09/13/89)

In article <8909080006.AA20875@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, CALIFFM@BAYLOR.BITNET (Michael Califf) writes:

> From talking to the WD tech support, the 8003EBT is just a 8003E with
> support for a boot prom, and some restrictions about RAM buffer size and
> location.

What specifically are the restrictions, if you know that information?
It seemed to me that the buffer in the EBT can beset to 8/16/32k in size
by jumpers and the RAM base address by software to anything within
its possible range (something like 9000-F000).  Is the restriction on
where the RAM can start on a given page (like only at x000 or x800, etc.)?

Thanks.
--

-- Glen M. Marianko, Supervisor of Data Communications and Hardware Support
   glen@aecom.yu.edu - {uunet}!aecom!glen - CIS: 76247,450