[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] UUCP --> FTP

CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET (09/16/89)

I need to download files from a machine running strictly UUCP to a machine
running only FTP.  I've heard that this is impossible.

mhw@wittsend.lbp.harris.com (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) (09/21/89)

In article <89258.213225CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET> CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>I need to download files from a machine running strictly UUCP to a machine
>running only FTP.  I've heard that this is impossible.

	No.  This is possible but only if you have access to another machine
somewhere in the middle that can play both games.  Out here in UUCP land our
problem is generally the reverse, where we want to get something from an FTP
only site.  That requires something fancy like a LISTSERV system.

	If you mean downloading directly with no help in-between from
another system, you are out of luck.  If it's not something gigantic and
your uucp/internet neighbors don't object (CHECK!!) have the uucp site
encode it and mail it to you.  If it's an autonomous archive site, wwwweeeellll
so much for that idea.

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)	| gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw
  (404)  270-2123 / 270-2098		| mhw@wittsend.LBP.HARRIS.COM
An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

meissner@tiktok.dg.com (Michael Meissner) (09/25/89)

In article <8723@galbp.LBP.HARRIS.COM> mhw@wittsend.UUCP (Michael H. Warfield (Mike)) writes:
| In article <89258.213225CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET> CMH117@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
| >I need to download files from a machine running strictly UUCP to a machine
| >running only FTP.  I've heard that this is impossible.
|
| 	No.  This is possible but only if you have access to another machine
| somewhere in the middle that can play both games.  Out here in UUCP land our
| problem is generally the reverse, where we want to get something from an FTP
| only site.  That requires something fancy like a LISTSERV system.
|
| 	If you mean downloading directly with no help in-between from
| another system, you are out of luck.  If it's not something gigantic and
| your uucp/internet neighbors don't object (CHECK!!) have the uucp site
| encode it and mail it to you.  If it's an autonomous archive site, wwwweeeellll
| so much for that idea.

If you are a customer of uunet, they offer a service where they will
FTP files upon request and uucp them to you.  I've used it several
times recently with good results.  If the files you want to get are
freely redistributable, it's also possible that it already exists on
uunet's and/or Ohio State's archives.
--
Michael Meissner, Data General.
Uucp:		...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!meissner		If compiles were much