[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] LAN adapter for IBM 3081

darryl@batserver.cs.uq.oz (Darryl Godfrey) (09/20/89)

miw@bunyip.cc.uq.OZ (Mark Williams) writes:

>	We decided that the time had come to get a real, supported,
>IBM 8332 LAN channel station. After all, we should have a supported
>ethernet adapter. We were so serious about it that we got a quotation.
>The quotation was....

>		SEVENTY-SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS

	Maybe token ring is cheaper :-) This is one of the problems with
	dealing with companies who market antiques. I can't believe that
	they actually use an AT as a channel adaptor. Thinking about it,
	token ring plus a gateway with an ethernet controller would
	probably be cheaper. Apollo do it quite well.

-darryl
(IBM - just say *no*)

SNSTR@TTUVM1.BITNET (steve) (09/30/89)

>>	We decided that the time had come to get a real, supported,
>>IBM 8332 LAN channel station. After all, we should have a supported
>>ethernet adapter. We were so serious about it that we got a quotation.
>>The quotation was....
>
>>		SEVENTY-SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS
I assume you mean 8232 rather than 8332.  IBM sells the
8232 lan channel station model 1 for $17,560, which with
the average educational discount comes to about $14,500.

Still pricey for what you get, but not nearly $77k.