[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] grape abandons FTP continuation lines

I run an FTP archive site, grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.  I would like to
keep people appraised of timely information, much as /etc/motd serves
on Unix machines.  The FTP RFC allows for multiple sign-on banner
lines, which would be a great place to announce this information.
Unfortunately, Sun's FTP client gets very, very confused when
confronted with continuation lines.

Moral: Don't use FTP continuation lines in your FTP server unless you
want to make Sun users confused and unhappy.  And when they get
confused they send you mail.  And when you get tired of answering that
mail, you rip the continuation lines out of your code.  And when you
get depressed that the network isn't perfect yet, you post to this
list, looking for a sympathetic ear.  :-(
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

merlin@smu.uucp (David Hayes) (09/26/89)

In article <1989Sep25.211510.2383@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>Moral: Don't use FTP continuation lines in your FTP server unless you
>want to make Sun users confused and unhappy.  And when they get
>confused they send you mail.  And when you get tired of answering that
>mail, you rip the continuation lines out of your code.

Or you can use the FTP in accrodance with its protocol specification.
And when the Sun users get confused, and angry, they send you mail.
Bounce the mail to Sun.  Maybe Sun will eventually fix their machines.
I'm not holding my breath, though.

David Hayes	School of Engineering	Southern Methodist University
merlin@smu.edu	uunet!smu!merlin
"Argue for your limitation, and, sure enough, they're yours." - Richard Bach

PADLIPSKY@A.ISI.EDU (Michael Padlipsky) (09/27/89)

I suppose it's completely out of the question to persuade Sun to
conform to the protocol...?  { ~|^ } [*]
   sympathetic [ch]ears, map
__________
[*] New ick-on, signifying raised eyebrow.
-------

 >>Moral: Don't use FTP continuation lines in your FTP server unless you
 >>want to make Sun users confused and unhappy.  And when they get
 >>confused they send you mail.  And when you get tired of answering that
 >>mail, you rip the continuation lines out of your code.
 >
 >Or you can use the FTP in accrodance with its protocol specification.
 >And when the Sun users get confused, and angry, they send you mail.
 >Bounce the mail to Sun.  Maybe Sun will eventually fix their machines.
 >I'm not holding my breath, though.

Gee, I just tweaked the 4.3-tahoe "ftpd" to put out a 3-line greetings
banner, according to the specs in the FTP RFC, set it up as the FTP
daemon on my 4.0.1 Sun-3, and connected to it with the vanilla FTP
client on the same machine - said client had no problem at all with it.
Perhaps upgrading from a 4.2-derived FTP client to a 4.3-derived FTP
client in SunOS 4.0 did the trick?

If so, this means:

	1) Sun's *already* fixed their machines in 4.0 (if you're running
	   3.x, you might consider bringing up the 4.3BSD FTP client on it,
	   bearing in mind that it may either depend on 4.3BSD features
	   in the local OS or on added commands in the 4.3BSD server
	   implementation);

	2) any other vendor whose FTP client is 4.2BSD-derived may have
	   the same problem, if the problem was introduced by Berkeley
	   and not Sun.