Date: Sat, 23 Sep 89 17:22:16 -0400
From: Ilhamuddin Ahmed <ilham@athena.mit.edu>
Sender: ilham@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
To: mckee@mwunix.mitre.org
Subject: Remote Printer Access protocol?

>	Date: Tue, 19 Sep 89 14:40:42 EDT
>	From: H. Craig McKee <mckee@mwunix.mitre.org>

>	Ilham - One of the conclusions of the overview paper on The Athena
>	Palladium Print System is that, "The incorporation of centralized
>	management into the system will allow for easier and more effective
>	management of the print services ...."

>	"Centralized" things are worrisome, particularly in a distributed
>	environment.  Do the centralized management procedures run in a single
>	machine; are they essential to the AP Print System; what recovery
>	actions do you have planned when a failure occurs?  Regards - Craig

The management functions are executed on a Palladium print server from
an authenticated person anywhere on the network. In the Berkeley
spooler, to do any maintanence, you would have to login to the host
running lpd and then run lpc. In case of Palladium, you can pause,
disable, shutdown and again restart the printer/server/supervisor by not
physically logging into the server but issuing a command which will send
an authenticated RPC request to the server/supervisor. So as you can
see, management procedures do not run on a particular machine but by
authorized personnel using client programs on any machine.

The case of accounting is slightly different. Currently all it does is
to save the accounting information on the local disk of each print
server. I am now working on the Quota server where each print server
will "ask" if the person attempting to print should be allowed on not
depending on their quota. If allowed, once the job is completed, the
print server will send a message back to the quota server with the
accounting information.  In this case, the quota server is running on a
single machine but I will put in sufficient fallback in that if the
printserver cannot contact the quota server, it will save the accounting
info to local disk and once the quota server is back up, it will queue
all info back. This addition of the quota server is not in the ECMA
standard but is required here at Athena.

							- Ilham