[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] YP and the domain system

vaf@VALINOR.STANFORD.EDU (Vince Fuller) (10/02/89)

A while ago, there was a discussion of the pitfalls involved in setting-up a
YP system in the Internet environment. Specifically, the discussion described
the scenario under which YP can (and does) cause Internet domain servers to
be flooded with bogus requests. Does a summary of this discussion exist?

	Thanks,
	Vince Fuller, Stanford Networking

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (10/04/89)

vaf@VALINOR.STANFORD.EDU (Vince Fuller) writes:

>A while ago, there was a discussion of the pitfalls involved in setting-up a
>YP system in the Internet environment. Specifically, the discussion described
>the scenario under which YP can (and does) cause Internet domain servers to
>be flooded with bogus requests. Does a summary of this discussion exist?

I would also be interested in seeing such a recapitulation ...

>	Vince Fuller, Stanford Networking

-- richard

--
 *    "Domains constitute a futile attempt to defeat anarchy and otherwise    *
 *     retard progress." (Steve Bellovin, Peter Honeyman, pathalias(l))       *