[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Thinwire vs. Thickwire

aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Vikas Aggarwal none) (09/29/89)

Just to collect one's views on Thinwire ethernet vs Thickwire ethernet,
I am listing what I know about the topic:

THINWIRE

	Flexible
	Low cost ( app. $3.00 per meter )
	10 Mb bandwidth
	Max segment length - 185 meters (30 nodes per segment)
	One multiport repeater can handle upto 8 segments

THICKWIRE

	More resilient for running through floors and ceilings
	Higher cost (app $11.00 per meter)
	10 Mb bandwidth
	Max segment length - 500 meters

Based on the above, I would choose thickwire ONLY if the length of the
segment had to be more than 500 mts or if the wire was going to run
through adverse areas.

Any comments ??

-vikas

	JOHN VON NEUMANN NATIONAL SUPERCOMPUTER CENTER

INTERNET: aggarwal@jvnca.csc.org
UUCP:	  rutgers!jvnca!aggarwal
BITNET:   aggarwal@jvncc

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (10/01/89)

/ comp.protocols.tcp-ip / aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Vikas Aggarwal none) /Sep 29/
[lists some tradeoffs between thin and thick wire Ethernet]

Also:

THINWIRE

	Transceivers and drop cables can be used
	Transceiver can be (and often is) built into the computer instead
	If using transceivers and drop cables:
		Non-intrusive transceivers are not available
			(cable must be cut to insert new transceiver)
	If not using transceivers and drop cables:
		Cable generally runs within an inch of each computer
		Non-intrusive off-shoot cables are available, but
			their outlets must be inserted into the cable
			in advance, and they add twice their length
			to the total length of the network

THICKWIRE

	Transceivers and drop cables must be used
	Non-intrusive transceivers are available ("vampire-tap")

In short, if your network is best served by a central-spine-with-drop-cables
topology, then one additional advantage of thick Ethernet is that you can
add new transceivers easily.

And then there's Twisted-Pair Ethernet...

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

kratz@bnrgate.bnr.ca (Geoff Kratz) (10/02/89)

In article <8909291306.AA06775@jvnca.csc.org>, aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Vikas Aggarwal none) writes:

> Just to collect one's views on Thinwire ethernet vs Thickwire ethernet,

What about Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP)?  We are using this exclusively now, and
we have found a number of advantages:

    - extremely cheap (uses existing 4-wire in the building)
    - MAUs cost much less than transceivers
    - You can use the BIXX cross-connects to simplify moves of workstations
      (a move requires moving jumper wires from one cross-connect to another)

The disadvantage, of course, is the distance.  UTP is only good to about 400 meters.
Within a building, though, this is usually adequate.  Another thing is the tolerance
on the clock crystals.  We found a number of workstation manufacturers who's specs on
the clock were less than adequate, thus causing a lot of jams or CRC's.  However, for
our site (1000+ workstations in 5 buildings with constant workstation moves), UTP
gives us more benefits in topology planning, installation and $$$.

And yes, we run at full ethernet (10 Mbps).

Anyone else out there using UTP for their ethernets?
--
Geoff Kratz         Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-5784
Internet Systems      P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283

eric@lcc.la.Locus.COM (Eric Peterson) (10/02/89)

In article <8909291306.AA06775@jvnca.csc.org> aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Vikas Aggarwal none) writes:

>Just to collect one's views on Thinwire ethernet vs Thickwire ethernet,
>I am listing what I know about the topic:
>
>THINWIRE
>
>	Flexible, Low cost ( app. $3.00 per meter ), 10 Mb bandwidth,
> 	Max segment length - 185 meters (30 nodes per segment), One
>	multiport repeater can handle upto 8 segments

	From past experience, I recommend this for only very small or
	temporary nets.  The cable is fragile, and the cable -> BNC
	connection is especially susceptible to breakage (we once had
	a janitor vacuuming the floor accidentally hit the cable and
	yank it out of the BNC connector, he noticed the damage and
	managed to push the cable back into the connector - needless
	to say, it was a poor connection and that whole floor of the
	building suffered from intermittent Ethernet problems for
	several days while we looked for the problem).

>THICKWIRE
>
>	More resilient for running through floors and ceilings,	Higher
>	cost (app $11.00 per meter), 10 Mb bandwidth, Max segment
>	length - 500 meters
>
>Based on the above, I would choose thickwire ONLY if the length of the
>segment had to be more than 500 mts or if the wire was going to run
>through adverse areas.

	I feel that any area with users in it is "adverse."

>Any comments ??
>-vikas

	Another solution is to use multiport transceivers to disribute
	the Ethernet.  It is much less susceptible to damage (or I should
	say, if damage _does_ occur, it doesn't propagate throughout the
	network.)  I believe the spec allows xcvr cable runs up to 50
	meters away, and the multiports that I've seen allow up to two
	levels of stacking the xcvrs.  Another advantage is that some
	Ethernet boards do not have the built-in thin wire BNC connector.

	A disadvantage is that manufacturers haven't seem to
	standardize on their method of attaching the 15 pin connector
	(mechanically) to the board (grrrr).

Eric
--
Eric Peterson,	Locus Computing Corporation
lcc.eric@seas.ucla.edu;	{randvax,sdcrdcf,ucbvax,trwspp}!ucla-se!lcc!eric

kincl@IAG.HP.COM (Norm Kincl) (10/04/89)

You forgot to mention twisted-pair (IEEE 802.3 10BaseT).  In some
situations---especially office type environments---this can be the best
solution.  I forget the exact specs on it, but we run twisted pair from a patch
pannel to all the offices.  In addition to not having to have to string coax
around to everyone (just pull it along with the phone wire), it gives us the
flexibility to quickly patch any office into any subnet or bridged segment.
This is useful for us as people constantly move their office, yet not the
disckless cluster they are a part of.

-Norm Kincl
 Informatin Architecture Group
  Hewlett-Packard

melanie@ph-meter.beckman.uiuc.edu (Melanie Anderson) (10/05/89)

In article <68@lcc.la.Locus.COM>, eric@lcc.la.Locus.COM (Eric Peterson) writes:

> In article <8909291306.AA06775@jvnca.csc.org> aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG
(Vikas Aggarwal none) writes:

enough thinwire bashing, already.

im coming into this debate late; but let me throw in my 2pence anyhow:

some background:

the beckman institute is a research lab/think tank at the uofi. we have over
300,000 sqare feet on five floors plus a basement. the building is designed
to house over 700 researchers in all types of research settings from offices
to computer labs to chemistry and mri. the building is not yet at capacity
and we already have over 300 computers on site ranging from zenith laptops
to vaxes, ardents and apollos to a 32K processor connection machine.

the design goal of the network was to provide high connectivity to
every office, lab, conference room and public area.  therefore every room in
the building (excluding bathrooms and kitchens!) has at least one
connection to the building network. this presented some interesting cable
design problems, resulting in (if you dont belive me do the math) the
discovery that it would be 1. enormously expensive 2. very difficult 3.
would not meet connectivity requirements to use thick ethernet.

the entire building is wired with thinwire ethernet, close to 16 miles of
it, in fact. the cabling design is a rib-and-spine approach. areas of the
building were carved into logical ethernets (ribs) and each rib connects,
via cabletron thin repeaters,  to a 100Mbit beckbone (good pun, huh?) built
out of network systems en641 routers.

it WORKS, it works GREAT. i have had zero problems with the wiring, ~zero
problems with the repeaters (out of over 700 repeater ports i have had 1
fail). somebody comes in, they get a chunk of cable from central stores for
6 bucks, they come to me, i give them a new IP number and tell them what
their default gateway ip address is (for those brain-dead ips out there!),
they go up to their office, they plug in, and off they go!

in fact, this wiring scheme and these repeaters have worked so well the same
system is being used in a 400-port new installation in the psychology
building on campus, in the cedar project addition (100+ ports) and will
probably be used in other new construction.

> >Just to collect one's views on Thinwire ethernet vs Thickwire ethernet,
> >I am listing what I know about the topic:
> >
> >THINWIRE
> >
> >	Flexible, Low cost ( app. $3.00 per meter ), 10 Mb bandwidth,
> > 	Max segment length - 185 meters (30 nodes per segment), One
> >	multiport repeater can handle upto 8 segments

where are you buying your repeaters from? here at beckman i have 33 thinwire
repeaters purchased from cabletron. they support anywhere from 12 thin and
two thick connections to 84 thin segments and two thick. also, if you are
using a repeater, you only get 28 nodes a  segment. the plus to using thin
repeaters over conventional thick is that most reapeaters are smart enough
to shut down a port if it detects a  bizzare electrical condition like a
short, open or fluctuation in resistance. in exremely large networks, this
intelligence can save hours or days of time. it also fixes the problem below.

> 	From past experience, I recommend this for only very small or
> 	temporary nets.  The cable is fragile, and the cable -> BNC
> 	connection is especially susceptible to breakage (we once had
> 	a janitor vacuuming the floor accidentally hit the cable and
> 	yank it out of the BNC connector, he noticed the damage and
> 	managed to push the cable back into the connector - needless
> 	to say, it was a poor connection and that whole floor of the
> 	building suffered from intermittent Ethernet problems for
> 	several days while we looked for the problem).

first, i would bet that a thick transciever cable would be damaged by this
kind of rough treatment, as well. also, you might want to suggest that if
someone breaks something, they report it, rather than try to fix it...

second, i would suggest you investigate who is doing your bnc terminations. i
have over 2000 terminations in this building and very few (~25) have been
demolished, usually by furniture being set on them. i would argue that you
would have the same problem with el-cheapo thick connections. i do have wall
and floor boxes installed. NO wiring should lie on a floor, be it rs-232,
power, ether or piano.

> >THICKWIRE
> >
> >	More resilient for running through floors and ceilings,	Higher
> >	cost (app $11.00 per meter), 10 Mb bandwidth, Max segment
> >	length - 500 meters
> >
> >Based on the above, I would choose thickwire ONLY if the length of the
> >segment had to be more than 500 mts or if the wire was going to run
> >through adverse areas.

thin ethernet with a toughened-up pvc or teflon coating is available for
adverse-condition or plenum applications. like i said, even our long
underfloor and overhead runs are thinwire. thick is appropriate for certain
applications.

i strongly believe, however, that whatever your wiring application,
that ribs-n-spine be used in any new large network. saves you much time and
effort and grief. it is flexible, reconfigurable, and expandable. try to
divvy your network up into ribs and then firewall them off from each other
so that one looney machine wont crash everyone.

whatever you do, PLAN for cut wires, smushed connectors, gonzo
transcievers, crazy ethernet cards, and broken software. DONT assume
all computers will play well with others. expect the worst because it
WILL happen.

> 	Another solution is to use multiport transceivers to disribute
> 	the Ethernet.  It is much less susceptible to damage (or I should
> 	say, if damage _does_ occur, it doesn't propagate throughout the
> 	network.)  I believe the spec allows xcvr cable runs up to 50
> 	meters away, and the multiports that I've seen allow up to two
> 	levels of stacking the xcvrs.  Another advantage is that some
> 	Ethernet boards do not have the built-in thin wire BNC connector.

yeah, you have to buy a transciever for any machine that doesn have an
on-board transciever. the thin transcievers are the same price, or cheaper,
than thick.

you can also put a delni-alike on thinwire ethernet (see above.)

Melanie Anderson			melanie@ph-meter.beckman.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute			217/244-1079
Unversity of Illinois

   "N4634X, Champaign Tower, uhh, what's that hanging off your wing?"

kratz@bnrgate.bnr.ca (Geoff Kratz) (10/05/89)

Before I start, I want to say this I do not want to bash thin-net.  The
purpose of this is more to provide an alternative for those people who
are now (will soon be) building a LARGE ethernet site.

In article <1989Oct4.174149.9451@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, melanie@ph-meter.beckman.uiuc.edu (Melanie Anderson) writes:
> In article <68@lcc.la.Locus.COM>, eric@lcc.la.Locus.COM (Eric Peterson) writes:
> >
> > In article <8909291306.AA06775@jvnca.csc.org> aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG
> (Vikas Aggarwal none) writes:
>
> enough thinwire bashing, already.
>
> im coming into this debate late; but let me throw in my 2pence anyhow:
>
> some background:
>
> the design goal of the network was to provide high connectivity to
> every office, lab, conference room and public area.  therefore every room in
> the building (excluding bathrooms and kitchens!) has at least one
> connection to the building network. this presented some interesting cable
> design problems, resulting in (if you dont belive me do the math) the
> discovery that it would be 1. enormously expensive 2. very difficult 3.
> would not meet connectivity requirements to use thick ethernet.

It would have been as trivial with UTP.  We are located in a number
of buildings, but a prototypical one would be:

      1000-2000 people
      about 1000+ machines (workstations, mainframes, PC's, Macs)
      about 4000+ ports of repeaters (on the hubs, bridges and delnis)

And we move equipment around a LOT.

Using UTP allowed us to put the backbone in a central location, and then
build a star from there.  Since we already have 4-pair cables running to
the floor, wiring was cheap.  We did find, though, that the cost per seat
was about $800 when installation of the cable was included (that includes
the prices of the twisted pair, MAU, hubs, bridges and delnis).  Cheaper,
of course, when the cable was already in place.  And it can get as good
as $400-500 per seat (depending on numbers).

> it WORKS, it works GREAT. i have had zero problems with the wiring, ~zero
> problems with the repeaters (out of over 700 repeater ports i have had 1
> fail). somebody comes in, they get a chunk of cable from central stores for
> 6 bucks, they come to me, i give them a new IP number and tell them what
> their default gateway ip address is (for those brain-dead ips out there!),
> they go up to their office, they plug in, and off they go!

We tried thin in a few locations, and got burned by poor construction (this
is probably not true of all manufacturers thing products).  Just shifting
a workstation could cause the T-connector to come off the BNC, thus causing
a break and taking out the entire segment.

We find that with UTP, a MAU can die and have no adverse affect on the net
(depends on the type of death of course.  If it just fails and stops functioning
no problem.  If it decides to transmit junk, that's a different story).

On the rare occasion that a hub decides to lose its mind, the effect can vary
(depends on where the hub is located in the topology).  At most, though,
you will lose a segment behind a bridge.  We have yet to have a bad bridge
or hub take out the entire subnet within a building.

> i strongly believe, however, that whatever your wiring application,
> that ribs-n-spine be used in any new large network. saves you much time and
> effort and grief. it is flexible, reconfigurable, and expandable. try to
> divvy your network up into ribs and then firewall them off from each other
> so that one looney machine wont crash everyone.

Yup, same with UTP.  You use hubs to build a star, use the bridges as
traffic filters and use routers to build multiple backbones.  As well,
moves involve moving a pair of jumper wires on a BIXX block.

> whatever you do, PLAN for cut wires, smushed connectors, gonzo
> transcievers, crazy ethernet cards, and broken software. DONT assume
> all computers will play well with others. expect the worst because it
> WILL happen.

You betcha!  And expect some of the users to get "creative" too.

Large sites do present an interesting problem and an incredible opportunity
to do it right (or screw it up REAL GOOD!) whether it is thick, thin or
UTP.
--

glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) (10/08/89)

In article <8909291306.AA06775@jvnca.csc.org>, aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Vikas Aggarwal none) writes:

> Just to collect one's views on Thinwire ethernet vs Thickwire ethernet,
> I am listing what I know about the topic:
>
> THINWIRE
> 	Max segment length - 185 meters (30 nodes per segment)

This posting reminded me of a question I had about thin ethernet and
the 30 nodes per segment limit.  Why is this?  I thought on thin
ethernet you can have a node every .5 meters (vs. thick which is
marked for much more).  If so, then 185/.5=370 according to my
calculator with the weak battery :-).  So why couldn't I have more
than 30 workstations?    Tell ya, the only place I ever saw this in
print was in a DEC catalog.  Maybe this is a DEC restriction?
--

-- Glen M. Marianko  Manager, LAN Services  Glasgal Communications, Inc.
   151 Veterans Drive  Northvale, New Jersey 07647  201-768-8082

ian@lassen.wpd.sgi.com (Ian Clements) (10/09/89)

In article <2525@aecom.yu.edu>, glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) writes:
> In article <8909291306.AA06775@jvnca.csc.org>, aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Vikas Aggarwal none) writes:
> >
> > 	Max segment length - 185 meters (30 nodes per segment)
>
> ...than 30 workstations?    Tell ya, the only place I ever saw this in
> print was in a DEC catalog.  Maybe this is a DEC restriction?

 Sorry, see section 10.7.1 of the IEEE Std. 802.3-1988, page 39.  It says
"A coax segment may contain a maximum of 185 m (600 ft.) of coaxial cable
and a maximum of 30 MAUs."

	Cheers,

	Ian

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (10/14/89)

> / hprnd:comp.protocols.tcp-ip / kratz@bnrgate.bnr.ca (Geoff Kratz) / 11:11 am  Oct  1, 1989 /
> In article <8909291306.AA06775@jvnca.csc.org>, aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Vikas Aggarwal none) writes:
> >
> > Just to collect one's views on Thinwire ethernet vs Thickwire ethernet,
>
> What about Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP)?  We are using this exclusively
> now, and we have found a number of advantages:
>
>     - extremely cheap (uses existing 4-wire in the building)
>     - MAUs cost much less than transceivers
>     - You can use the BIXX cross-connects to simplify moves of workstations
>       (a move requires moving jumper wires from one cross-connect to another)
>
> The disadvantage, of course, is the distance.  UTP is only good to about
> 400 meters.  Within a building, though, this is usually adequate.  Another

The design goal for 10BASE-T is 100 m on 24 AWG UTP.  400 meters is
excessive.
> thing is the tolerance on the clock crystals.  We found a number of
> workstation manufacturers who's specs on the clock were less than adequate,
> thus causing a lot of jams or CRC's.  However, for our site (1000+

The clock problem has to do with the effect of excessive clock skew on
repeaters, not with any characteristic of twisted pair vs coax (except that
with coax you may not have had to have a repeater between your nodes).
Repeaters decode the incoming signal and reencode it with their internal
clock in order to remove jitter.  The clocks of the sending DTE and the
repeater may be slightly different, but the must be within 10 MHz +- 0.01%
to meet the spec.  A device with a fast clock can transmit a maximum length
packet in about 300 ns faster than a device with a slow clock.  To allow
for this skew, a repeater stores at least 3 bits in its FIFO before it
starts transmitting (so it won't run out of bits if it is fast) and
has space for at least 3 more bits to accumulate (so it won't drop
bits if it is slow).  If clock frequency is out of spec then packets
can get corrupted.

Since people switch from a small unrepeatered coax network to a twisted
pair network, they discover the problem when the repeater is inserted.

> workstations in 5 buildings with constant workstation moves), UTP gives us
> more benefits in topology planning, installation and $$$.
>
> And yes, we run at full ethernet (10 Mbps).
>
> Anyone else out there using UTP for their ethernets?
> --
> Geoff Kratz         Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-5784
> Internet Systems      P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283
>                     Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7
> BITNET: kratz@bnr.ca
> ----------

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (10/14/89)

> / hprnd:comp.protocols.tcp-ip / glen@aecom.yu.edu (Glen M. Marianko) /  6:01 pm  Oct  7, 1989 /
> In article <8909291306.AA06775@jvnca.csc.org>, aggarwal@JVNCA.CSC.ORG (Vikas Aggarwal none) writes:
> >
> > Just to collect one's views on Thinwire ethernet vs Thickwire ethernet,
> > I am listing what I know about the topic:
> >
> > THINWIRE
> > 	Max segment length - 185 meters (30 nodes per segment)
>
> This posting reminded me of a question I had about thin ethernet and
> the 30 nodes per segment limit.  Why is this?  I thought on thin
> ethernet you can have a node every .5 meters (vs. thick which is
> marked for much more).  If so, then 185/.5=370 according to my
> calculator with the weak battery :-).  So why couldn't I have more
> than 30 workstations?    Tell ya, the only place I ever saw this in
> print was in a DEC catalog.  Maybe this is a DEC restriction?
> --
It comes from the IEEE 802.3 10BASE2 standard. It is actually 30 MAUs
per segment that is important, not how many stations are attached to
those MAUs.  It is due to the effect of the MAU (leakage current,
on the media.  The spacing requirement is to ensure you don't have a bunch
of MAUs clustered right together as that can lead to a larger reflection.
MAUs can be closer together on thin than on thick for two reasons: 1) the
attenuation of thin is higher (part of the reason it only goes 185 m);
and 2) the number of MAUs is smaller on thin 30 vs. 100.

> -- Glen M. Marianko  Manager, LAN Services  Glasgal Communications, Inc.
>    151 Veterans Drive  Northvale, New Jersey 07647  201-768-8082
>    glen@aecom.yu.edu - {uunet}!aecom!glen (Courtesy of AECOM & unaffiliated)
Pat Thaler