[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] email to fax, fax to email

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (10/14/89)

In article <2078@brazos.Rice.edu> hd@rice.edu (Hubert D.) writes:
>I suggest using the CCITT group 4 document transmition standard instead
>of the CCITT group 3 specification which is used over the phone lines.  The
>group 4 spec uses ONE compression table for the entire file; group 3
>uses a compression table for EVERY line.  The internetwork is a much
>more reliable medium than the telephone lines.  So, a protocol which
>suits the medium should be used

	sure enough, group 4 would result in smaller files zipping
	around the internet.  i have no experience with group 4, but
	i'd guess the files would still be 20k to 50k per page...

	unfortunately for internet bandwidth, group 3 is where it's at.
	the installed base of group 3 computerfax hardware is growing
	very rapidly.  there is no inexpensive group 4 hardare, eh?

	by the way, if anyone would like to actually receive a group 3
	fax file via the internet, i'd be happy to mail along copies
	of an obscure (funny) photo from an upstate new york fishing
	journal, or a fax of my siamese cat's face (catfax).  public
	domain fax display software is available courtesy of "well!pokey".

	it should soon be appearing in a comp.sources newsgroup near you...

--
 ... Steve Elias (eli@spdcc.com);6178906844;6179325598; {}
 /* free email2fax!  send email for info. */