[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Encrypted SMTP Mail?

Clifford Collins <COLLINS-C@OSU-20.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU> (10/14/89)

I recently saw copies of RFC1113, 1114 and 1115 that address
encrypted SMTP mail.  Are there any implementations out there?
I would be very interested in acquiring what's out there to test
and evaluate.  Any leads would be welcome. Please reply to me
via e-mail.  Thanks!

Clifford A. Collins            collins-c@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University    Instruction & Research Computer Center
-------

BHOLMES@WAYNEST1.BITNET (Brian Holmes) (10/16/89)

My notes havn't arrived from Interop yet, but I believe a company
with initials TIS is supposed to have front end encryption program for
network mailers by December or January.  I'll post an address as soon
as my stuff arrives unless someone beats me to it.

                        Brian Holmes
                        CSC Operating Systems & Communications

SNAIL    : Wayne State University, 5925 Woodward, Detroit MI 48202 U.S.A.
BITNET   : BHOLMES@WAYNEST1
INTERNET : Brian_Holmes@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU
UUCP     : {UMIX|ITIVAX}!WAYNE-MTS!BRIAN_HOLMES

galvin@TIS.COM (James M Galvin) (10/16/89)

> My notes havn't arrived from Interop yet, but I believe a company
> with initials TIS is supposed to have front end encryption program for
> network mailers by December or January.  I'll post an address as soon
> as my stuff arrives unless someone beats me to it.

We are:
	Trusted Information Systems, Inc.
	3060 Washington Road (Rt. 97)
	Glenwood, MD 21738

As announced at Interop, we will have an implementation of RFC 1113
freely available in the January or so timeframe.  The user interface is
integrated in to the MH user agent.

You may contact "balenson@tis.com" for more details, or watch here for
further announcements.

Jim

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (10/16/89)

In article <66649@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>
COLLINS-C@OSU-20.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU (Clifford Collins) writes:
>I recently saw copies of RFC1113, 1114 and 1115 that address
>encrypted SMTP mail.  Are there any implementations out there?
>I would be very interested in acquiring what's out there to test
>and evaluate.  Any leads would be welcome. Please reply to me
>via e-mail.  Thanks!

	It is quite an interesting and imprssive effort, but there are
some things you aren't going to like, since the RSA guys have patented
the public key algorithms.

	The RFCs define a comprehensive framework for defining a
secure mail system that uses SMTP transport.

	Trusted Information Systems has developed software based on MH
mail to use encryption and is planning on widely distributing this.
However, the public key algorithms are licensed from RSA.

	RSA <something-or-other> is a spinoff of the RSA guys that is
in the business of providing a certification authority to make all
this work.

	Are you ready for the kicker?  You pay $25 to register each
and every user of secure mail in your institution for a period of two
years with said RSA company.

	Anyone out there ready to trust RSA to maintain a list of
users in your institution that can send and receive secure mail?  Are
you ready to pay $25 every two years for the privilege?

	--Kent England, Boston University