[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Looking for SNMP

liwen@software.org (Andrew Liwen) (10/16/89)

We have a large, diverse network of machines, including: Apollos (all flavors),
Suns, and VAXen.  We are interested in building some network management tools
for our network and are interested in looking in to SNMP.  In order to build
the needed tools, we will need access to source code (i.e. porting to VMS and
Apollo's NCS environment are being considered).  Could someone point me to a
supplier of SNMP.  We would prefer public domain source but will consider
acquiring a commercial package.

Please e-mail responses.  If there seems to be a large enough set of replys,
I'll post a summary.

//Andy
--
Andrew B. Liwen                                              voice 703/742-7289
Software Productivity Consortium,Inc.                          FAX 703/742-7200

jh@tut.fi (Hein{nen Juha) (10/17/89)

In article <428@sunny.software.org> liwen@software.org (Andrew Liwen) writes:

   to SNMP.  In order to build the needed tools, we will need access
   to source code (i.e. porting to VMS and Apollo's NCS environment
   are being considered).  Could someone point me to a supplier of
   SNMP.  We would prefer public domain source but will consider
   acquiring a commercial package.

there are atleast three public domain snmp implementations: mit's,
cmu's and nysernet's (agent only).  you can find the first two eg.
from our ftp archive at funet.fi.
--
--	Juha Heinanen, Tampere Univ. of Technology, Finland
	jh@tut.fi (Internet), tut!jh (UUCP), jh@tut (Bitnet)

BHOLMES@WAYNEST1.BITNET (Brian Holmes) (10/18/89)

A public domain version of SNMP is available from 128.2.13.21
I havn't tried it out but I belive source is there also.

                        Brian Holmes
                        CSC Operating Systems & Communications

SNAIL    : Wayne State University, 5925 Woodward, Detroit MI 48202 U.S.A.
BITNET   : BHOLMES@WAYNEST1
INTERNET : Brian_Holmes@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU
UUCP     : {UMIX|ITIVAX}!WAYNE-MTS!BRIAN_HOLMES

guy@guy.uucp (Guy Streeter) (10/18/89)

jh@tut.fi (Hein{nen Juha) writes:

>there are atleast three public domain snmp implementations: mit's,
>cmu's and nysernet's (agent only).  you can find the first two eg.
>from our ftp archive at funet.fi.

The NYSERnet implementation is SOLD by NYSERNET.  It is not in the public
domain.

Guy Streeter
b11!guy!guy@ingr.com
...uunet!ingr!b11!guy!guy

mrose@CHEETAH.NYSER.NET (Marshall Rose) (10/19/89)

> there are atleast three public domain snmp implementations: mit's,
> cmu's and nysernet's (agent only).

Just as a clarification:  NYSERNet has a proprietary implementation of
the SNMP which consists of an agent along with many, many tools for
running a network management station.  In addition, a second, completely
independent implementation of an SNMP agent was done for 4BSD/OSI under
partial support from US DARPA.  This latter work is what Hein{nen Juha
means by "nysernet's (agent only)".

It is important not to confuse the two as they serve entirely different
purposes:

    -   As with all NMS implementations, the NYSERnet proprietary
	implementation is there to provide NMS functionality to manage
	your network.

    -   In contrast, the 4BSD/OSI implementation (which appears in the
	next release of the ISODE), was written in order to maximize the
	number of hosts in the Internet that are network manageable.
	Since Berkeley UNIX tends to be what the majority of platforms
	are based on, producing an agent for 4BSD should help in this regard.
	A number of people felt that network managability was such a
	critical problem, that this mandated the generation of an openly
	available implementation of an SNMP agent that would work with
	the next release of BSD UNIX (whenever that is).  Since that
	release will contain OSI protocols, it was also felt that
	support for managing those protocols with the SNMP would also be
	a good thing.  So, (in my opinion) NYSERNet did a very
	forward-thinking thing by allowing me to write an SNMP agent for
	4BSD/OSI and then put it in the ISODE.

    -	I hear lots of good things about both the MIT and CMU public
	domain implementations of the SNMP, which both include an agent
	and NMS tools.  These are meant to be highly portable
	implementations which vendors (among others) can deploy on
	various platforms.  As such, they really serve a different
	purpose than the 4BSD/OSI implementation of the SNMP.

/mtr

ps: this is only one of many forays the SNMP crowd--a large collection
of people from all walks of life (researchers, users, providers,
vendors) and with all kinds of interests (routers, workstations,
bridges, concentrators, etc.)--will be engaging in over the next year.
Look for the SNMP to be at the center of dozens of interesting
management solutions as people start getting together to solve various
problems with network management.  (A shameless plug from the chair of
the SNMP Working Group!)

pps: I am sensitive to the "appropriate use" issue on the net, and was
very careful not to make this sound like an advertisement for my
employer.  But then again, when you do forwarding-thinking things, a
little praise should be forthcoming.

/mtr