[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Where can i get a POP3 server for 4.3 BSD UNIX ?

tannenba@cat17.cs.wisc.edu (Todd Tannenbaum) (10/26/89)

I am trying to locate a POP3 (Post Office Protocol ver 3) server that will
run on 4.3 BSD UNIX.  It is important to me to obtain version 3, NOT version
2.  It does not have to be version 3 extended, although that would be
nice..... If someone knows how to obtain a POP3 server (via anonymous ftp,
preferably), please respond to me either directly or in this newsgroup.
	Thanx!  -Todd Tannenbaum
		 tannenba@garfield.cs.wisc.edu
			-- OR --
                 tannenba@zs.engr.wisc.edu

jln@accuvax.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (10/27/89)

In article <3469@puff.cs.wisc.edu> tannenba@garfield.cs.wisc.edu (Todd Tannenbaum) writes:

>I am trying to locate a POP3 (Post Office Protocol ver 3) server that will
>run on 4.3 BSD UNIX.

I just finished installing a POP3 server on a SparcStation.  The server is
part of Marshall Rose's "MH Message Handling System".  I believe that it
is available via anonymous FTP from louie.udel.edu.

I had quite a few problems with the installation, but finally managed to get
it to work.  Email me if you have any questions.

John Norstad       Northwestern University      jln@acns.nwu.edu

scooter@genie.UUCP (Scooter Morris) (10/27/89)

From article <3469@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, by tannenba@cat17.cs.wisc.edu (Todd Tannenbaum):

> I am trying to locate a POP3 (Post Office Protocol ver 3) server that will
> run on 4.3 BSD UNIX.  It is important to me to obtain version 3, NOT version
> 2.  It does not have to be version 3 extended, although that would be
> nice..... If someone knows how to obtain a POP3 server (via anonymous ftp,
> preferably), please respond to me either directly or in this newsgroup.
> 	Thanx!  -Todd Tannenbaum
> 		 tannenba@garfield.cs.wisc.edu
> 			-- OR --
>                  tannenba@zs.engr.wisc.edu

Genentech has written a POP3 server for 4.3 BSD, as well as a Macintosh
client.  It uses /usr/spool/mail as the postoffice file, so this
implementation may not be for everyone.  If anyone is interested,
send me a mail message, and I would be happy to make it available.

					Scooter Morris
					Scientific Computing
					Genentech, Inc.
					scooter@genie.gene.com