[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] BITNET -- Internet capabilities

randall@uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson) (10/26/89)

In article <8910251138.AA11562@alw.nih.gov> RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") writes:

>I wish the Internet had BITNET-style sender-initiated file transfer
>that did not require the sender to know the receiver's password.  It's
>very convenient.  Sending files as email is not very user friendly.

The ability of some arbitrary user elsewhere on a network I'm connected
to to put files in my account without (at least) password protection
is a security hole.  I'm glad my systems aren't directly connected to BITNET.

ftp and sending files as mail do work, though I concede a better user
interface could be devised if someone had the time (I don't).

By the way, those of you running a sendmail that has a "decode" alias
built-in (as I gather a number of popular workstations do) may well
want to remove it.  An acquaintance at a workstation firm tried to mail
some font files to me using "decode@domain" and was startled that my
systems have that disabled and apparently hadn't realised what a security
hole it can be...

Regrettably security isn't something most vendors have been paying
much attention to until just now and the continuing problems with
DECnet virii and worms and the infamous Internet worm seem to have
had limited impact on most folks...

  Ran
  randall@virginia.EDU

OWEN@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU (Larry Owen) (10/26/89)

>>I wish the Internet had BITNET-style sender-initiated file transfer
>>that did not require the sender to know the receiver's password.  It's
>>very convenient.  Sending files as email is not very user friendly.

>The ability of some arbitrary user elsewhere on a network I'm connected
>to to put files in my account without (at least) password protection
>is a security hole.  I'm glad my systems aren't directly connected to BITNET.

This may be the first (or the tenth!) of a series of similar responses, but:

Just in case this misconception is shared by many others, files sent over
Bitnet (at least on most operating systems) don't go in your directory.
You have to actively receive the files from a holding area into your
directory.  This does not present a security hole.

Larry Owen
Mgr., Network Support
Technical Support Services
Auburn University

Bitnet:   owen@auducvax
Internet: owen@ducvax.auburn.edu

jqj@RT-JQJ.STANFORD.EDU (JQ Johnson) (10/26/89)

>>I wish the Internet had BITNET-style sender-initiated file transfer

>The ability of some arbitrary user elsewhere on a network I'm connected
>to to put files in my account without (at least) password protection
>is a security hole.

This BITNET feature is usually implemented as writing the files to a
remote spool area where disk space is charged to the system rather than
the target user, and the target user may retrieve the files or not
within some reasonable time.  As such, it is not any more a security
hole than the ability to send electronic mail to /usr/spool/$USER.  The
key feature that it has which SMTP-based email lacks is a standard
(sort of) for sending non-textual data.  X.400 with its provision for
arbitrary binary attachments may make this BITNET feature obsolete.
But Internet-only users should not be so narrowminded as to think that
ftp is the "one true way" to manage file transfer!

As Ran remarks, security is a problem on the Internet.  One might argue
that it is less of a problem on BITNET because the BITNET world
developed from the paranoid computing-center-production-IBM-mainframe
environment rather than the casual departmental-Unix-workstation
environment.

JQ Johnson                              voice: 415-723-3078
Manager, Special Projects               Internet: jqj@jessica.stanford.edu
Networking and Communications Systems
Pine Hall Rm 125-A
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-4122

ittai@SHEMESH.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (10/27/89)

    >I wish the Internet had BITNET-style sender-initiated file transfer
    >that did not require the sender to know the receiver's password.  It's
    >very convenient.  Sending files as email is not very user friendly.

    The ability of some arbitrary user elsewhere on a network I'm
    connected to to put files in my account without (at least) password
    protection is a security hole.  I'm glad my systems aren't directly
    connected to BITNET.

    ftp and sending files as mail do work, though I concede a better user
    interface could be devised if someone had the time (I don't).

I manage a site with both BITnet and Internet connections.  I have never
held BITnet in high esteem (on a technical level), but I have changed my
view on this subject.

There are many legitimate cases where sender-initiated file transfer
is warranted.  The one that comes most quickly to mind, is the case
where two (or more) researchers are collaborating on a paper and need
to send drafts back and forth; they are also working on other papers
and therefore do not want to swap password information.  On the
Internet, this basically leaves them at the mercy of using e-mail.
And not all e-mail UA's are capable of being used as file-transfer
utilities.

While not perfect, and decidedly implemented for brain damaged
reasons, the BITnet service is adaptable at low risk.  The security
mechanism is quite simple -- all sender-initiated file transfers are
collected in a spool directory, and users run a "RECEIVE" utility (a
la Joiner's JNET implementation of RSCS for VMS) to actually bring the
file into their directory.  The spool area then becomes a DMZ, no more
risky than anonymous FTP.

Yes, I agree this is not optimal.  Yes, I agree that this service
could be abused.  I think, though, that this would be a terribly
useful service to add until such a time when a more elegant solution
is found.

-Ittai

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") (10/28/89)

> >I wish the Internet had BITNET-style sender-initiated file transfer
> >that did not require the sender to know the receiver's password.  It's
> >very convenient.  Sending files as email is not very user friendly.
>
> The ability of some arbitrary user elsewhere on a network I'm connected
> to to put files in my account without (at least) password protection
> is a security hole.  I'm glad my systems aren't directly connected to BITNET.
>
> ftp and sending files as mail do work, though I concede a better user
> interface could be devised if someone had the time (I don't).

You misunderstand the way that BITNET file transfer works.  While it's
up to the implementor, the general rule is that incoming files are
stored on spool or in some other temporary area.  The receiving user is
notified that a file is waiting for him.  He then is able to decide to
accept or reject the file.  If he accepts it, he generally is able to
rename it before it is stored in his own area.  Thus there is no
security loophole.

The whole business is analogous to mail.  The difference is in the user
interface at each end.  A file to be sent is not composed on the spot
and a file to be received is not displayed on the user's screen (except
upon request).  Files can be text or binary data.

The fact that people often UUENCODE files and send them as mail shows
that the desire for this type of file transfer is out there.
I've heard it said that the space required to store temporary copies of
tranfered files would be prohibitive.  BITNET sites generally do not
find that to be so.  Anyway, the space is being used anyway when the
files are being sent as mail.

smart@ditmela.oz (Robert Smart) (10/28/89)

In Australia there is a network, ACSnet, running Australian software
which also supports sender initiated file transfer in exactly the same
style as BITNET. It also has a batch-style equivalent of anonymous
ftp, called getfile. These capabilities seem extremely valuable. Many
people expect that ACSnet will continue to run over TCP/IP when
Australia has a real Australia-wide IP network, just to provide these
capabilities. Yet these capabilities could easily be implemented on
top of TCP/IP. I wish someone would do it.

Bob Smart

chris@CS.UMD.EDU (Chris Torek) (10/29/89)

>From: jqj@rt-jqj.Stanford.EDU (JQ Johnson)
>
>This ... is usually implemented as writing the files to a remote spool
>area where disk space is charged to the system rather than the target
>user, and the target user may retrieve the files or not within some
>reasonable time. ... The key feature that it has which SMTP-based email
>lacks is a standard (sort of) for sending non-textual data.  X.400 with
>its provision for arbitrary binary attachments may make this BITNET
>feature obsolete.  But Internet-only users should not be so
>narrowminded as to think that ftp is the "one true way" to manage file
>transfer!

	% ftp remotehost.biguniv.edu
	<greeting stuff>
	User: anonymous
	Password: me@here
	<restriction stuff>
	type image
	<image mode OK>
	put local-file incoming/remote-file
	<file goes across>
	quit

Now all we need is to write it up as an RFC (changing the `put
local-file incoming/remote-file' sequence to a new `give' command, so
that the `incoming/' can go away), and write a front end called `give'
or whatever that does the above automatically.  Hosts can expire stuff
in ~ftp/incoming, or whatever they name this spool directory, as often
as desired.

In other words, we need only one change to the FTP protocol (to add a
command that means `I am sending you a file that you should put in your
spool directory, whatever its name may be'), along with some front
ends so that `given' files are handled much like mail: spooled on
the local machine until the transfer can happen.
--
`They were supposed to be green.'

barmar@kulla (Barry Margolin) (10/29/89)

BITNET-style file transfer is easily accomplished using FTP.  Many FTP
servers support anonymous FTP, which generally restricts the user to a
subset of the file system (on Unix it's generally a particular subtree, on
TOPS-20 it's world-accessible directories).  Sender-initiated file transfer
is done by using FTP to put the file into a directory to which anonymous
FTP has write access, then sending mail to the recipient telling him the
file's name.

Some BITNET hosts may provide better access control over the spool area
than the above, because the protocol includes the recipient's name and it
can distinguish writable spool areas from readable spool areas.  But for
many purposes the above mechanism is adequate.

Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar