[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP source wanted

romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us (John Romkey) (11/11/89)

Well, first off, SLIP is only a method of transmitting IP packets over
serial (asynch) lines. So it sounds like what you're looking for is
not just SLIP, which you could tuck under an existing TCP/IP
implementation, but a whole TCP/IP stack, complete with applications.

Everybody's favorite SLIP implementation for UNIX was done by Rick
Adams some years back, and you can find it on NET.UU.NET (uunet for
UUCP-land).

Everybody's favorite TCP/IP implementation for UNIX is the Berkeley
4.3 TCP, which has been freed by the Regents of UC Berkeley so that
it's clear of AT&T licensing. The copyright is still held by them, but
you can use the code pretty much however you want. This TCP is an
excellent protocol engine but is often a bear to port as it really
wants to live inside a Berkelely UNIX kernel. I have appended to the
end of this message a copy of an announcement from UCB about the
availability of this software. It includes SLIP support.

You can also find this online on uunet.
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@ftp.com
"Some people walk on water/Some people walk on broken glass/Some people walk
 round and round in their dreams/Some just keep falling down." Laurie Anderson

From: bostic@OKEEFFE.BERKELEY.EDU (Keith Bostic)
Newsgroups: comp.bugs.4bsd.ucb-fixes
Subject: V1.73 (BSD Networking Software, Release #1)
Date: 7 Dec 88 01:54:54 GMT

We are happy to announce the availability of the first release of the BSD
networking software.  It consists of the standard user level applications,
(along with their manual pages and some related documentation) and some
kernel and C library support.  It should be noted that this software has
only been tested for compilation and operation on 4.3BSD and 4.3BSD-tahoe.
A complete list of files is attached to this message.

The TCP and IP code is approximately the same as that recently made
available via the ARPANET and Usenet.  Several new algorithms are used in
TCP, in particular Van Jacobson's slow start and dynamic window size
selection algorithms and Phil Karn's modification to the roundtrip timing
algorithm.  These changes increase throughput and reduce congestion and
retransmission.  Several fixes were made in the handling of IP options
and other gateway support.

This software suite is copyright The Regents of the University of California
and may be freely redistributed.  No previous license, either AT&T or
Berkeley is required.  The release costs $400.00 US.  To request an order
form, please contact our distribution office by phone at 415-642-7780, or
by email at bsd-dist@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu or uunet!ucbarpa!bsd-dist, or
by U.S. Mail at:

	CSRG, Computer Science Division
	University of California
	Berkeley, CA  94720

Mike Karels
Kirk McKusick

[list of files deleted]

rogers@osi540sn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Scott W. Rogers) (11/13/89)

Try looking on 'uunet.uu.net' in the Berkeley (4.3BSD) subdirectories.
I know there are object modules for slip on this node, and I beleive
that most of the berkeley networking source codee for 4.3 is there as well.