[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Rtelnet mods for Annex?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (11/14/89)

I was just looking at the Rtelnet program Annex provides with its
terminal servers. Basically, it a daemon that uses telnet to talk to
the server, and provides a /dev interface using a pty.

Some problems I noticed were:

1) No provision for a BREAK, which makes it hard to use with an
outdialing UUCP.

2) Does not support rotaries, so each computer using it ties up at
least one Annex port.

3) Is very BSD specific, and needs work for Sys V.

Does anyone have an fixes for any of this?
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll) (11/17/89)

>I was just looking at the Rtelnet program Annex provides with its
>terminal servers. Basically, it a daemon that uses telnet to talk to
>the server, and provides a /dev interface using a pty.
>
>Some problems I noticed were:

As well as those, it doesn't work, at least with SunOs 4.0.1 or higher.
I have problem report #10078 logged against rtelnetd through Encore.
Of course, Encore says "Its not a priority" and hints they will just
tell Xylogics about it if I yell. And then they tell me that Xylogics
has no customer support group. So catch-22.

If you are just attempting to run a slaved getty so that users don't see
the cli, check out the dedicated mode available on a per port basis
in release 4.1.

This, and the lack of Van J's SL/IP improvements are the only blemishes
against an otherwise fantastic product.

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (11/17/89)

[Followups to comp.sys.encore]

In a comp.protocols.tcp-ip article, <4587@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, Ken
Mandelberg asks about the `rtelnet' program Xylogics provides with
the Annex Terminal Server host-tools software distribution.  The
basic answer is that the rtelnet distributed with next release should
include changes that resolve all his points, and then some.  Several
bugs (including one descended from BSD telnetd) have been fixed, and
a few new, useful features have been added.  rtelnet, combined with the
"kernel-assisted telnetd" changes (see my article in comp.unix.wizards),
makes for a nice way to make Annex ports appear "local" w/o performance
penalties.

As a sidebar (this is a pet peeve), I wish that vendors `porting' the
Berkeley networking code to SystemV platforms would do so in a way that
wouldn't require basic socket-using code to be turned into spaghetti to
compile and/or work.  This includes "#include"s.

--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group

casey@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (11/18/89)

| From: eric@ists.ists.ca (Eric M. Carroll)
|
| This [bug in rtelnet], and the lack of Van J's SL/IP improvements are the
| only blemishes against an otherwise fantastic product.

  It also can't be made to do RTS/CTS flow control and DTR/CD modem
control at the same time.  Additionally a single unidirectional 19200BPS
data stream will suck up 20% of the CPU.  (I think there's also a
parallel port.)

  This box only has serial ports, an ethernet and some logic tying them
together.  You'd think they'd be able to support the serial ports
properly.

  You're right, the box is fairly nice, but it could be much nicer and on
far more central issues than rtelnet.

Casey