[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Traceroute & SunOS 4.0.3

ecf_hap@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (11/10/89)

In article <3325@watale.waterloo.edu> mdadams@surya.waterloo.edu (Mike Adams) writes:
>Does anyone have the patched kernel objects necessary to run traceroute
>under SunOS 4.0.3 on either Sun3's or 4's (both would be fabulous).
>I'm quite certain that a modified raw_ip.o is involved, but I'm not
>sure if anything else is required.  Would it be possible that some kind
>soul could make the patched objects available via anonymous ftp?
[...]
>Mike Adams (mdadams@surya.waterloo.edu || madams@sirius.uvic.ca)

Might I second this query for us poor souls with binary distributions of
various Ultrix releases?  I'm led to believe that all I need is a patched
raw_ip.o.

awright,
so
quoted
more
than
said.

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group                   Bitnet: ANDY@JHUVMS
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (301)338-8096
Johns Hopkins University                 UUCP: mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!gollum!andy

dfk@eu.net (Daniel Karrenberg) (11/19/89)

dfk@eu.net (Daniel Karrenberg) writes:
>Not really necessary.  I have taken raw_ip.c from the traceroute
>distribution, put it in /usr/sys/netinet, changed the Makefile to
>compile it and take the object in place of the one in
>/usr/sys/sun?/OBJS, built a new kernel and hey presto - traceroute works
>on my 4/260 known as mcsun.eu.net.

This is how I remembered it but not how I did it.
It should have read: I have taken the raw_ip.c FROM THE BERKELEY NETWORKING
DISTRIBUTION, APPLIED THE PATCHES FROM THE TRACEROUTE DISTRIBUTION, put it
in /usr/sys/netinet ....

I have now put the patched raw_ip.c into the traceroute distribution
on mcsun.eu.net.
--
Daniel Karrenberg                    Future Net:  <dfk@cwi.nl>
CWI, Amsterdam                        Oldie Net:  mcvax!dfk