[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] print server

ziel@spot.Colorado.EDU (ZIEL FRED ADAM) (06/22/88)

The architecture we are trying to test is more ideally implemented with
independently adressable network devices, so I'm looking for a (hopefully
cost effective) way of putting our printers on our ethernet network instead
of hanging them off of a server.  It sounds like we need some of the
functionality of a cisco terminal server, but that looks to be a bit of
overkill.  Something similar was described in Comp.newprod from Excelan
a few weeks ago.  We would also like some method of having the tape drive
be an independent device, but I think that is less important at the moment.

I would appreciate any info (esp. pricing) on the minimum cisco or Excelan
systems.  I would also appreciate any suggested alternatives or problems
with what we're trying to do.  If I get enough (any :-) replies, I will
post a summary.  Thanks.

Fred Ziel, Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Reserach, CU-Boulder
uucp:   ..!{nbires,ames!ncar}!boulder!ziel  domain: ziel@spot.colorado.edu
disclaimer.h (line 10): syntax error.

percy@amdcad.AMD.COM (Percy Irani) (06/24/88)

We have used the Imagen printer with their Ethernet server.
Works well for Unix and VMS hosts. You do have to install the Imagen
software on all nodes you want to print from.

Hope that helps. Imagen can be reached at (408) 986-9400.

I speak for myself and not the Company. All opinions expressed are
my own.
--
Ignorance is bliss but can be embarassing at times!

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (06/25/88)

In article <22198@amdcad.AMD.COM> percy@amdcad.UUCP (Percy Irani) writes:

>We have used the Imagen printer with their Ethernet server.
>Works well for Unix and VMS hosts.

I disagree, I don't even use it because the default type size is not
pica and you have to waste time screwing around with troff or such to
get things to look normal.

I complained about this to Percy and was ignored.
--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

philipp@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (Philip A. Prindeville) (06/26/88)

On the subject of Imagens, has anyone considered making the ethernet
print engine speak NFS so the fonts don't have to be installed locally?
This would simplify updating the software imensely if you have many
such printers at your site.  Now if only the DESC.out (etc) files
were read in network byte order...

-Philip

hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) (06/27/88)

In article <22208@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <22198@amdcad.AMD.COM> percy@amdcad.UUCP (Percy Irani) writes:
> >
> >We have used the Imagen printer with their Ethernet server.
> >Works well for Unix and VMS hosts.
>
> I disagree, I don't even use it because the default type size is not
> pica and you have to waste time screwing around with troff or such to
> get things to look normal.
>
> I complained about this to Percy and was ignored.

I don't know how you guys at AMD set your printer up but on ours
the font is controlled by the "of" filter in /etc/printcap and
the default font is settable in an environment variable.  Admittedly,
the default default font (failing setting the var to change it) is
not Courier.  Bummer |-).

// Howard
--
Howard Postley      usenet:  uunet!bambam!hjp
On Word             phone:   +1 213 399 7733

--
Howard Postley      usenet:  uunet!bambam!hjp
On Word             phone:   +1 213 399 7733
                    snail:   2434 Main St; Santa Monica, CA  90405

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (06/28/88)

While CISCO sells a parallel printer and software for their terminal
servers, it is possible to hang a printer off a CISCO serial port
(provided it is an RS-232) printer.   We have a number of dumb line
printers and Postscript printers of various sorts that used to run
on RS-232 ports off UNIX machines running on CISCO boxes.  There
are two ways of doing this.  One way is that I have a program that
sits on a PTY and shuffles everything to the remote cisco serial port.
This is handy for places where you won't want to dink with the output
filters.  We do have some minor problems with this on the postscript
printers especially when the printer times out due to long delays in
the host spitting data into it.  We've also hacked the Adobe Transcript
driver to open connections to the device directly.

As far as pricing, CISCO now has a midrange server that is probably a bit
cheaper than the price you saw before.  They are also rumored to be working on
a very small RS-232/Ethernet only server.  All there other servers can
talk to a variety of network interfaces.  CISCO gives discounts to
educational institutions and EDUCOM/BITNET members.  The MIDRANGE server
I recall (discounted) was about the same price as the (discounted) price
for the ANNEX (somewhere in the low $4000's for 16 lines).

-Ron

cliff@WSU-ENG.ENG.WAYNE.EDU (Cliff Stallings) (11/07/89)

I'm not that familar with Sun's, but if you can connect the printers
to a SUN or the Mac running AUX then run CAP which was written to
run under UNIX, then the Mac under OS could access the printers.
You could then run LPD on the Mac running AUX so the other machines
can also print on those printers.  FYI

                        Brian Holmes
                        CSC Operating Systems & Communications

SNAIL    : Wayne State University, 5925 Woodward, Detroit MI 48202 U.S.A.
BITNET   : BHOLMES@WAYNEST1
INTERNET : Brian_Holmes@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU
UUCP     : {UMIX|ITIVAX}!WAYNE-MTS!BRIAN_HOLMES
I have a network consisting of one sun-4, one sun-4, 2 pc's, 1 mac II running
mac os, and 1 mac II running a/ux.

All systems are connected via ethernet cards to tcp/ip based network.

I have a laser writer and an image writer which I would like to access from
all of my systems.  Can anyone help me?

   cliff@wsu-eng.eng.wayne.edu

neil@cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (11/20/89)

In article <8911062130.AA00281@hub.eng.wayne.edu> cliff@WSU-ENG.ENG.WAYNE.EDU (Cliff Stallings) writes:
>I have a network consisting of one sun-4, one sun-4, 2 pc's, 1 mac II running
>mac os, and 1 mac II running a/ux.
>All systems are connected via ethernet cards to tcp/ip based network.
>I have a laser writer and an image writer which I would like to access from
>all of my systems.  Can anyone help me?

If the problem is that the printers in question only have parallel
interfaces, use our new box to connect them to the sun's via SCSI.

--
Neil Gorsuch        INTERNET: neil@cpd.com          UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100