[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Does Data General under AOS/VS use TCP/IP?

houpt@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Thomas Houpt) (11/14/89)

A friend of mine is trying to network a Data General computer
running AOS/VS to Macintoshes with ethernet. The DG is controlling
a Magnetic Resonance Imgaing system for brain scans, and is already
networked to its "peripherals" (an MRI scanner, a vector processor, and
a display terminal) via an ehternet cluster box. The cluster box
has a total of 9 ports, of which only 3 are being used. He wants to
plug a transceiver box into one of the unused ports, and run coax
to a Mac ethernet card so he can downloadscanned image files for display.
The question is, does the DG use TCP-IP on its ethernet network,
or is it available (along with ftp for the file transfer) for the
DG operating system. Once we know its possible to get TCP-IP/FTP
running, we know what to do. But we are sufficiently unfamiliar with the
DG operating system not to know if this is trivial or impossible.

I noticed a few replies posted here titled "Re Data General" , but
I missed the beginng of the exchange. So I apologize if I am asking
a recently asked question over again.

Thanks in advance.

boykin@calliope.Encore.COM (Joseph Boykin) (11/21/89)

In article <3159@husc6.harvard.edu> houpt@husc8.UUCP (Thomas Houpt) writes:

>A friend of mine is trying to network a Data General computer
>running AOS/VS to Macintoshes with ethernet.
>The question is, does the DG use TCP-IP on its ethernet network,
>or is it available (along with ftp for the file transfer) for the
>DG operating system. Once we know its possible to get TCP-IP/FTP
>running, we know what to do. But we are sufficiently unfamiliar with the
>DG operating system not to know if this is trivial or impossible.

I haven't worked for DG for about 4 years, however, before I left
there was a TCP/IP product available for AOS/VS.  While things may
have changed I would strongly doubt that they use TCP/IP  as their
"standard" protocol.  In fact, the most often used protocol was X.25.

I'm sure DG would be happy to sell you TCP/IP (and ftp, etc. that
went along with it).

----

Joe Boykin
Encore Computer Corp