[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] FTP is most uncooperative

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (11/21/89)

For some months now, we have been experiencing problems in FTPing files from
any non-local machines. What typically happens is that an FTP process will hang
after transferring some data. This happens on both incoming and outgoing
transfers, and on UNIX, VMS, and PC machines. Sometimes connections will
hang after transferring as little as 3K; sometimes they last for 80 or more.

Needless to say it is all quite bothersome. Any ideas?

craig@bbn.com (Craig Partridge) (11/21/89)

In article <8911211027.AA01322@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
>For some months now, we have been experiencing problems in FTPing files from
>any non-local machines. What typically happens is that an FTP process will hang
>after transferring some data. This happens on both incoming and outgoing
>transfers, and on UNIX, VMS, and PC machines. Sometimes connections will
>hang after transferring as little as 3K; sometimes they last for 80 or more.
>
>Needless to say it is all quite bothersome. Any ideas?

Bill:

    Is it FTP that is the problem, or is it your TCP connection?  Have
you done a packet trace to see if any data is going over the link?

    There are some baroque failure scenarios that can cause a TCP
connection to fail in this fashion and a careful analysis of a packet
trace tends to reveal the problem.

    Also, are all the problems from one machine, to all the others, or
are you saying all your machines (with different software and vendors)
have this problem?

Craig