[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] routing protocols

tds@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (antonio.desimone) (11/15/89)

Can someone point me to a source of information on cisco's
Interior Gateway Routing Protocol?  I've come across some of their
glossies that make mention of flow optimization, delay and traffic
measurements, etc.  I wonder if they do something much more
sophisticated than, for example, Open SPF as far as load balancing
(if I understand Open SPF, the protocol allows round-robin routing
over equal shortest paths).

Beyond cisco in particular, are there any IP router vendors who
attempt to make routing decisions based on real-time traffic
measurements?  I'm not talking about neat experimental algorithms,
or unused options in some protocol, but commercial (or at least
widely used) implementations.  My impression, based on an
admittedly cursory scan of the literature, is that a lot of
interesting work has been done but nobody has solved the stability
and measurement/timescale problems to the extent that someone
would risk such an algorithm in an operational network or a
commercial product.
--
Tony DeSimone
AT&T Bell Laboratories

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (11/16/89)

In article <5764@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>
tds@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (antonio.desimone) writes:
>Can someone point me to a source of information on cisco's
>Interior Gateway Routing Protocol?

Chuck Hedrick from Rutgers recently announced formation of an Open
Distance Vector Routing Working Group within the IETF and has drafted
a paper on cisco's IGRP (with cisco's permission) as a candidate for
that protocol.  Anon ftp is available from one of several servers at
rutgers.edu.  Try athos.rutgers.edu in /pub/igrp.[doc|ps].  It might
be or will be in the Working Group directories on SRI-NIC at some
point.  So, for the first time, there is a rather complete description
of cisco's patented (or patent pending) algorithm.

>... I wonder if they do something much more
>sophisticated than, for example, Open SPF as far as load balancing
>(if I understand Open SPF, the protocol allows round-robin routing
>over equal shortest paths).

Well, the main diff is link-state versus distance-vector.  OSPF is
link-state and ciscoIGRP is distance vector.  Depending on which side
you light your torch, you might prefer one over the other based on
link-state or distance-vector.

>Beyond cisco in particular, are there any IP router vendors who
>attempt to make routing decisions based on real-time traffic
>measurements?  I'm not talking about neat experimental algorithms,
>or unused options in some protocol, but commercial (or at least
>widely used) implementations.  My impression, based on an
>admittedly cursory scan of the literature, is that a lot of
>interesting work has been done but nobody has solved the stability
>and measurement/timescale problems to the extent that someone
>would risk such an algorithm in an operational network or a
>commercial product.

Oh, I don't know.  The first NSFnet backbone risked a delay/congestion
based algorithm on an operational (but noncommercial) network.

eason@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dale Eason) (11/17/89)

Where can I find more information on the differences and relationships
between Cisco's IGP, Proteon's OSPF, and RIP. We are trying to build a network
and need to know how to get the routing done.

medin@NSIPO.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (11/17/89)

Just a point of clarification here about OSPF.  The protocol will find
multiple equal-cost paths.  Whether or not a router can use this
information to load-balance in a round-robin way depends on how
the IP forwarding module in a particular implementation is implemented.

In general trying to do dynamic load balancing in a multi-vendor
environment is a pretty dicey issue.  BBN went through great pains
to tame the dynamic load balancing in their PSN networks.

					Thanks,
					   Milo

forster@CISCO.COM (Jim Forster) (11/17/89)

Dale,

If you would like to read about the algorithms and protocols, IGRP is
described in the document igrp.ps or igrp.doc, on ftp.cisco.com
(131.108.1.27.  The 'dir' command is disabled on that machine, but you may
use 'get' on those filenames).  OSPF is described in RFC1131, and RIP in
1058.

The algorithms & protocols described by these documents are only part of
the answer to your question.  Implementations can have important features,
which allow one to control who is listened to and believed, for instance,
which are not neccessarily part of the specification.

Jim Forster
cisco Systems

swb@DAINICHI.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Scott Brim) (11/21/89)

   >Oh, I don't know.  The first NSFnet backbone risked a delay/congestion
   >based algorithm on an operational (but noncommercial) network.

The implementation of the HELLO protocol used in the first NSFNET
backbone (on fuzzballs, by Dave Mills) was supposed to be independent
of load on the net, in that the routing messages were generated just
barely outside of the interface cards themselves.  There turned out to
be some wobble, and Dave put a lot of work into controlling and
damping the incredible thrashing that occasionally came about due to
that wobble (also gated had a sliding window and filter put in to damp
it even further).  I don't know anyone who's working on dealing with
these problems for large nets anymore.  The main problem is that
you're in a situation where the system can (and probably will) change
direction faster than you can detect a wobble, send out an adjustment
to it, and have your adjustment stabilize.  You just keep thrashing.
							Scott

dlj@proteon.com (Daniel L. Jones) (11/21/89)

Dale,
  Give me a call or send me email and I'll send you the OSPF spec.
Ask cisco customer service for the IGRP spec. You can read about RIP
in Doug Comer's Book " Internetworking with TCP/IP".

Dan Jones
Proteon Customer Service
(508) 898-3100
dlj@proteon.com

tsuchiya@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (11/21/89)

The only work still going on for traffic-based routing in connectionless
networks, that I know of, is at BBN.  They have published
a nice paper on recent work in this area in SIGCOMM 89.  The paper is
nice both for the algorithms they present and for the general description
of the nature of the problem.  The paper says to me that with
a lot of tuning, delay-based routing can increase throughput in
certain operating regions.  But if it is poorly tuned, watch out.

Of course, work of this sort associated with connection-oriented
networks has been going on forever, but I can't say I'm too familier
with the literature.

In general, I think if yet another group is going to go off and work
on another igp, it should do something different than the one we
have, not just do the same thing a little better (and of course the
verdict on whether DV can be better than LS is by no means in).
Otherwise the headache of implementing to two standards is not worth
the effort.  For instance, doing delay-based routing, or multi-path
(as a basic approach to routing, not just for equal paths), or
multi-cast, or for that matter Landmark Routing.  But these things
require research, and so standardization would (and should) be delayed
for some time.

Paul F. Tsuchiya		The MITRE Corp.
tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org	7525 Colshire Dr.
703-883-7352			McLean, VA 22102 USA

tds@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (antonio.desimone) (11/22/89)

Some time back I posted this query (actually a longer version) looking
for information on cisco's routing protocol.

> Can someone point me to a source of information on cisco's
> Interior Gateway Routing Protocol?  I've come across some of their
> glossies that make mention of flow optimization, delay and traffic
> measurements, etc.  I wonder if they do something much more
> sophisticated than, for example, Open SPF as far as load balancing

> Beyond cisco in particular, are there any IP router vendors who
> attempt to make routing decisions based on real-time traffic
> measurements?

Thanks to all those who replied: I quote from some replies below.

Kent>    kwe%buitb.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England)
John>    John Bashinski <jbash@cisco.com>
smb>     ulysses!smb
Milo>    "Milo S. Medin" <ucbvax!nsipo.nasa.gov!medin>
art>     art@sage.acc.com

First the quick summary: get the document describing IGRP written by
Chuck Hedrick from Rutgers.  Hedrick was good enough to send me a copy
but I won't bother posting since it's available by anonymous ftp from:

Kent> athos.rutgers.edu in /pub/igrp.[doc|ps].  It might
Kent> be or will be in the Working Group directories on SRI-NIC at some
Kent> point.

John> You can pick up a copy of a paper on IGRP by anonymous FTP from
John> ftp.cisco.com. It's called "igrp.doc". Directory listings are disabled
John> for security reasons; just go ahead and pick up the paper.

Basics:

Kent> Well, the main diff is link-state versus distance-vector.  OSPF is
Kent> link-state and ciscoIGRP is distance vector.  Depending on which side
Kent> you light your torch, you might prefer one over the other based on
Kent> link-state or distance-vector.

Art> Until recently, IGRP was not being disclosed by cisco.  At the last IETF,
Art> Chuch Hedrick at Rutgers released a document (with cisco's OK), based
Art> on the cisco patent application, which summarizes the major technology
Art> in IGRP.  From looking at that, I would say that OSPF and IGRP offer about
Art> the same level of functionality.  Of course, since IGRP is a Distance Vector
Art> algorithm and OSPF is a Link State algorithm, this is somewhat apples to
Art> oranges.  cisco has apparently stated that they may be willing to liscense
Art> IGRP much like Ethernet was (modest one time charge).  Chuch Hedrick is
Art> heading an IETF working group looking into defining a public domain Distance
Art> Vector protocol that would be equal to or better than IGRP.

On the issue of load balancing:

John> IGRP provides for just slightly more than plain round-robin routing; you
John> can specify a "variance", which allows load-sharing between links with
John> different capacities. Unfortunately, large variances tend to destabilize
John> the network.

Milo> Just a point of clarification here about OSPF.  The protocol will find
Milo> multiple equal-cost paths.  Whether or not a router can use this
Milo> information to load-balance in a round-robin way depends on how
Milo> the IP forwarding module in a particular implementation is implemented.

Milo> In general trying to do dynamic load balancing in a multi-vendor
Milo> environment is a pretty dicey issue.  BBN went through great pains
Milo> to tame the dynamic load balancing in their PSN networks.

And on the use of measures of real-time congestion for routing:  (I don't
know if I was completely clear in my original posting.  I was asking
about controls that respond on the timescales on which queues build
up.  That's what is required to reroute rather than drop packets as
queues build up, i.e. if you want "congestion avoidance".)

smb> As for delay measurements:  what about the ARPANET itself, where the IMPs
smb> do real-time load measurements?  That was certainly an operational net,
smb> and MILNET still uses that technology.

Art> The stability problems seem to outweigh any real benefits at the current
Art> time.  Until congestion avoidance mechanisms for connectionless networks
Art> are developed (and deployed) to deal congestion in the first place, I
Art> don't think it makes sense to try to respond to congestion at the routing
Art> level.  Once congestion avoidance mechanisms are there, and the routers
Art> can determine the rate at which sources respond to congestion (not an easy
Art> measurement problem) then that gives a limit to how fast routing should
Art> be allowed to change.

Art's statement seems to hold for the BBN/Milnet algorithm as well.
There's an article in the recent SIGCOMM proceedings by Khanna and
Zinky of BBN that explains the metric used.  Yes delay measurements are
used, but routes are updated on a timescale in the tens of seconds, at
best.   That approaches the connection (or at least the busy) time for
file transfers.  I think it's safe to say that no one uses rerouting as a
congestion avoidance technique (although I'd still be interested to
hear otherwise!)
--
Tony DeSimone
AT&T Bell Laboratories

Mills@UDEL.EDU (11/23/89)

Scott nicely and compactly summarized the problems with delay wobble in the
NSFNET Phase-I network, now gone to heaven and reincarnated as a network
of precision clocks. However, the real problem with the net as victim of
congestion abuse was the link-level protocol (DDCMP) which was implemented
in the interface firmware and could not be turned off. Thus, buffer starvation
at one site would cause persistent retransmission and eventual stagflation
at upstream sites. The many lessons learned, retroactively obvious and otherwise,
are summarized in my paper "The Fuzzbll" appearing in SIGCOM 88 proceedings.

Dave