[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] The PC as a trusted client in a TCP/IP network

whna@cgch.UUCP (Heinz Naef) (11/21/89)

Hello system integrators,
what could be done to turn existing personal computers (industry standard)
into real trusted clients on a TCP/IP network? What activities would be
required at the organizational and at the technical level?
 - Would it be necessary to disable/remove the floppy disk unit?
 - Would it be a good idea to boot the PC over the network interface
   (learning IP-address, loading DOS, etc.)?
   Did anyone implement this already (e. g. using BootP, etc.)?
 - Would it be better to choose an application gateway solution, i. e.
   implementing some proxy-Telnet, -FTP, -NFS, -etc. agent on a departemental
   host which is accessed by corresponding PC clients?
 - etc.
Any comments, suggestions, pointers to solutions, etc. are appreciated. I will
summarize to the net, so you could e-mail instead of followup-posting to save
News bandwidth.
Thanks, and best regards,
Heinz Naef, c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1045.3.37, P.O.Box, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
  UUCP:     cgch!whna
  Internet: whna%cgch.uucp@uunet.uu.net              Phone: (+41) 61 697 26 75
  BITNET:   whna%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet            Fax:   (+41) 61 697 32 88

jon@athena.mit.edu (Jon A. Rochlis) (11/23/89)

In article <907@cgch.UUCP> whna@cgch.UUCP (Heinz Naef) writes:
>Hello system integrators,
>what could be done to turn existing personal computers (industry standard)
>into real trusted clients on a TCP/IP network?

My 2 cents: Don't try to turn PC's into "trusted clients".  Don't
build around the concept of trusted clients at all.  Instead assume
all clients run with software (possibly even hardware) written from
the ground up by a cracker.  Assume all communications are monitored
by the "bad guy".  Require something like Kerberos to make the client
process prove its identity to a server.  Encrypt data streams or do
crypto-checksums depeneding upon the sensitivity of the data in
question.  Don't trust the software on the client.  After unless you
control and secure all the wire, somebody can pretty easily hook up
their own portable PC and at the very least run a sniffer to grab all
the packets as they go over the wire.

		-- Jon

> control and secure all the wire, somebody can pretty easily hook up
> their own portable PC and at the very least run a sniffer to grab all
> the packets as they go over the wire.

Speaking of sniffers,  can somebody send me information on what hardware
is available for a portable pc to collect/view/analyze ethernet traffic
(and hopefully decript the TCP/IP packets) on both thin and thicknet.

Thanks in advance

In article <907@cgch.UUCP> whna@cgch.UUCP (Heinz Naef) writes:
>what could be done to turn existing personal computers (industry standard)
>into real trusted clients on a TCP/IP network? ...

Rip out the boards.  Save the monitor, case, and power supply.  Put a
decent processor (with memory management) in, and run a decent operating
system (one that pays some attention to security).

Unless you construct an environment in which users cannot do any
programming at all -- difficult -- it can't be done with standard PCs.
--
That's not a joke, that's      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
NASA.  -Nick Szabo             | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu