[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] filtering / active ethernet components

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (11/24/89)

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) writes:
>... packet filtering ...  DEC LanBridges and such filter packets when you
>don't want them to.  ARP packets for example, addressed to the broadcast
>(all 1's) address get blocked by broken filterware in the LanBridges.

	an up to date set of ROMs from DEC will fix this bug.

>Does anyone know the why of this and the how of fixing.  My recommendation
>is to trash these bogus active components and learn to live within the
>ethernet specification.

	my recommendation is to ignore your own recommendation, Phil!
	would you recommend living in a shoe, too?
	ethernet's distance limits are a royal pain;
	multimedia/ethernet brouterateways are very useful components!

--
 ... Steve Elias ; eli@spdcc.com ; 6179325598 ; {}
*disclaimer();  /* watch out for litigous pinheads!  		 */

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (11/25/89)

Steve,
	>multimedia/ethernet brouterateways are very useful components!

Except when they don't work.  Then it is up to some sophisticated
sluth to figure out what's wrong.  DEC sure won't tell you about
it.  And they (the sluth and DEC) will probably charge you to fix it!

Phil

enger@sccgate.scc.com (Robert M. Enger) (11/25/89)

regarding LanBridge 100 sleuthing (trouble shooting):
I belive DEC offers a LanBridge remote monitoring and control program.
However, I belive it only runs on their DECnet-speaking VMS machines.

In principal anyway, such a program should make it a lot easier
to figure out whats broken.

Bob

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (11/25/89)

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) writes:
>i wrote:
>	>multimedia/ethernet brouterateways are very useful components!
>
>Except when they don't work.  Then it is up to some sophisticated
>sluth to figure out what's wrong.  DEC sure won't tell you about
>it.  And they (the sluth and DEC) will probably charge you to fix it!

	major bug fixes should always be free.
	anything less is a corporate wimp-out!

	i'm not sure of DEC's policy, but i have
	enough respect for them to assume that they either provide free
	majorbug fixes, and that they won't threaten to sue me for saying
	that they should provide them...
--
 ... Steve Elias ; eli@spdcc.com ; 6179325598 ; { *disclaimer(); }