Date: 20 Nov 89 18:25 +0100
Sender: "North American MHSNEWS Distribution List"
       <mhsnews-request@tis.llnl.gov>
From: JPALME@com.qz.se
To: MHS news distribution list <mhsnews@vax.runit.unit.uninett>
Subject: Notes from the CCITT X.400 group meeting in November 1989

Notes from the CCITT X.400 group meeting in November 1989

These are my personal notes, not official minutes.

The CCITT rapporteaur group Q.18/VII met for its first meeting
with technical work during the 1989-1992 study period in Rhodes,
Greece in November 1989.

(text deleted)

File transfer
-------------

The possibility of file transfer in X.400 is investigated. By
"file transfer" is meant the carrying of computer programs,
Spreadsheet worksheets etc in IPM or in new content types.

(text deleted)

Date: 20 Nov 89 16:47 +0100
Sender: "North American MHSNEWS Distribution List"
       <mhsnews-request@tis.llnl.gov>
From: "Johan Lundberg TeleDelta (Swedish Telecom)"
 <JOHANL%com.qz.se@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject: WKS files as externally-defined body parts
To: MHS news distribution list <mhsnews@vax.runit.unit.uninett>,
        MHSNEWS
 Distribution List <mhsnews@tis.llnl.gov>,
        philf@xymox.metaphor.com

I know that NIST in US has an agreement to use the body part
bilaterlly defined to transfer binary data. Severla implementor
already support this. Of course there is a drawback; you can
not distinguish between different types of binary files. If you
intend to automate something i would go for a externally defined
body part. The problem is of course that there are noone that
care about registering OBJECT IDENTIFIERS.
One solution wold be to register your own and use that.

Johan Lundberg, TeleDelta Sweden