[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] yellow pages

cliff@WSU-ENG.ENG.WAYNE.EDU (Cliff Stallings) (11/29/89)

I wish to use the nameserver on my Sun-4 systems without using yellow pages.
I have been informed that this is not possible.  Can anyone help?

   cliff@wsu-eng.eng.wayne.edu

zweig@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) (11/30/89)

cliff@WSU-ENG.ENG.WAYNE.EDU (Cliff Stallings) writes:

>I wish to use the nameserver on my Sun-4 systems without using yellow pages.
>I have been informed that this is not possible.  Can anyone help?
>
>   cliff@wsu-eng.eng.wayne.edu

As far as I can tell (I asked someone who knows) you just have to run BIND
on the Sun. Of course, unless the code you want to do the looking-ups (i.e.
the stuff that you want to _ask_ this name-server stuff) was compiled
with libresolv  it will not ask the name-server. By default, software
from Sun was not compiled with libresolv, so you have to recompile
telnet and everything.

There are some patches on UUNET.UU.NET (somewhere -- you'll need to poke
around) that make libresolv do the Right Thing.  The tricky part is
getting everything else to talk to the lovingly-provided daemon.

-Johnny Second-Hand Wisdom