[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP IP vendor selection

neerma@cod.NOSC.MIL (Merle A. Neer) (12/01/89)

The Distributed Command and Control project (DC2) at
NOSC is an attempt to bring Naval command and control
systems into the networking arena by frontending them
with PC-ATs.  The microcomputers perform the TCP-IP
function transparently for the Naval systems.  This
project began strictly as an R&D laboratory experiment
but has now progressed to the point where shipboard
installations have begun.  The operational environment,
however, requires 'hardening' of the network frontends
(NIUs).  We have had a difficult time in achieving the
hardening of the NIUs.  The problems stem from the
poor quality of the commercial TCP-IP packages we have
tried.  In April 1988 our contractors were tasked to
evaluate several TCP-IP packages for use in the NIUs.
Their conclusion: none of the packages examined satisfy
the requirements of the NIU.  The problems identified:
1. inability to handle more than 2 or 3 connects per
socket 2. inability to close/reopen a connect 3. poor
and inaccurate documentation 3. violation of the TCP
window management specification 4. bugs in networking
code (usually results in hung or crashed system)
and almost UNIVERSALLY 5. lousy technical support.
The vendors examined during this study: Network
Research FUSION, Exelan, CMC and FTP Software.

We have reached a point of frustration.  Our current
strategy is to: 1. wait for CMC to fix a bug in their
ROM for their ether card (since the rest of their stuff
looks o.k. so far, 2. look at the public domain KA9Q
(advantage: sources), 3. wait for FTP Software to fix
their socket library 4. look at Woolongong (havent tried
them yet) 5. write our own?

Most of these packages work when run with the vendors
own applications (FTP, Telnet, etc.).  Most I believe
work if the PC wants to open one connection, send a
little data, and that s all.  We program the PCs to be
network servers: must maintain multiple connections,
must recover from opening/closing connections, MUST
implement TCP window mechanism because our clients
often send much data to server, must provide a socket
interface (somewhat of a standard), MUST WORK!

If we could find a vendor with a product as described
we would anticipate buying more than a few packages as
the Navy has a lot of ships with lots of command and
control systems and soon to have lots of networks.
So far, however, we cant get any package out of the lab.

Does anyone want such a customer?

Merle Neer
neerma at nosc.mil
(619)553-3974

wunder@HP-SES.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (12/02/89)

   The Distributed Command and Control project (DC2) at
   NOSC is an attempt to bring Naval command and control
   systems into the networking arena by frontending them
   with PC-ATs.

Sounds like you are trying to put a multi-tasking application on a
single-tasking box.  Though you can write it, NONE of the support
software will have been extensively tested for multi-tasking.  Have
you thought about dumping MS-DOS and getting multitasking systems
with TCP/IP?

Some ideas:

  cheap Unix workstations (HP has one under $5000)
  Unix on PCs
  HP1000
  68000 cards with VxWorks ROM-able OS (Mizar sells these)

The VxWorks stuff looks particularly interesting.  Though I haven't
used it, I've heard some good reports.

wunder

yhe@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Youda He) (12/02/89)

In article <8912011712.AA03174@hp-ses.sde.hp.com> wunder@HP-SES.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) writes:

>   The Distributed Command and Control project (DC2) at
>   NOSC is an attempt to bring Naval command and control
>   systems into the networking arena by frontending them
>   with PC-ATs.
>
>Sounds like you are trying to put a multi-tasking application on a
>single-tasking box.  Though you can write it, NONE of the support
>software will have been extensively tested for multi-tasking.  Have
>you thought about dumping MS-DOS and getting multitasking systems
>with TCP/IP?
>
>Some ideas:
>
>  cheap Unix workstations (HP has one under $5000)
>  Unix on PCs
>  HP1000
>  68000 cards with VxWorks ROM-able OS (Mizar sells these)
>
>The VxWorks stuff looks particularly interesting.  Though I haven't
>used it, I've heard some good reports.
>
>wunder

Have you thought about QNX? it should run on XT, AT and 386 box, multitask,
I don't think they use TCP/IP, PC-AT  is not a single task box, MSDOS is.
We  are thinking of make control, data collection, and configuration on this
network, We haven't start it yet, but decided to go with QNX, if
some one have experience on QNx, we would link share some.

youda he

manoj@excelan.COM (manoj @ NOVELL ) (12/03/89)

In article <1711@cod.NOSC.MIL>, neerma@cod.NOSC.MIL (Merle A. Neer) writes:

> The vendors examined during this study: Network
> Research FUSION, Exelan, CMC and FTP Software.
>
> We have reached a point of frustration.  Our current
> strategy is to:
1. wait for CMC to fix a bug in their > ROM for their ether card (since the rest of their stuff > looks o.k. so far,
2. look at the public domain KA9Q > (advantage: sources),
3. wait for FTP Software to fix > their socket library
4. look at Woolongong (havent tried > them yet)
5. write our own?

What were the problems with the Excelan software?

Regards!
	                                 		+---+
	manoj goel, (408) 473-8369 			| +-+-+
	Product Marketing              			+-+-+ |
        Excelan/Novell, San Jose, CA 		 	  +---+
		When all else fails, read the instructions!
	                                 		+---+
	manoj goel,                                  	| +-+-+
	Product Marketing              			+-+-+ |
        Excelan/Novell, San Jose, CA 		 	  +---+
	(408) 473-8369 (voice) / 433-0775 (fax)
		When all else fails, read the instructions!