[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Ye Old Discard Protocol

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (12/01/89)

Is there a IAB policy which might relate to the use of Well Known
Service (WKS) numbers or Internet ports for Relatively Unknown Services
(RUS) such as PC-NFS.  There is an IBM-PS/280 on our network that is
shipping 14 bytes of text in a UDP packet directed to WKS 9, the discard
service.

Example data:

	PC-NFS04080B65
	PC-NFS0415AE76

What might these hosts be doing?  Would they like a reply?  I kind of
doubt it.

Phil Wood, cpw@lanl.gov

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (12/01/89)

Philip,
  What you're probably seeing is a very disgusting habit that seems to be
developing among purveyers of commercial network products.  They
broadcast their license numbers in an effort to prevent users from
copying their software and using multiple copies simultaneously on a
local network.  Some broadcast their licenses continuously every few
seconds in an effort to avoid people partitioning their networks,
starting up copies of the same program on isolated sections of the
network and then rejoining the network ...  I shit you not.

  This is a particularly revolting technique of copy protection since
these licenses are encapsulated in broadcast packets that interrupt every
host on the network.  Since we have a flat network of over 2000 hosts
here at LLNL, the potential disruption is dramatic for us.  We told the
manufacturers that we strongly disagree with their practice, have
suggested that they register a multicast address and use that, and have
threatened to install filters for their stupid packets.  This last is a
completely empty threat since the bridges we have (DEC LanBridge 100s)
don't support this kind of packet filtering, we don't have money to buy
new bridges, and even if we did have, the administrative effort needed to
maintain all the filters is more time than we can afford.

  I can say that if we (our network support group) learns that a product
uses this technique, we will advertise it as a prohibited product on our
network.  We just can't afford to have our network distroyed by a few
companies who prefer to invest their time in stupid copy protection
schemes rather than in improving their product and support, thereby making
it unprofitable to copy their product.  (By copying such a product you'd
still be out the documentation, support, etc.)

Casey

CSYSMAS@OAC.UCLA.EDU (Michael Stein) (12/02/89)

> We told the manufacturers that we strongly disagree with their
> practice, have suggested that they register a multicast address
> and use that, and have threatened to install filters for their
> stupid packets.

Multicast won't help on Token Ring, it maps to broadcast...

I think the ONLY solution is to not allow those packages on the
network...

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (12/02/89)

  As an expansion and follow up of my mention of "multicast" is my last
note, I offer the following:

  I request that companies who currently use ``Broadcasted License
Numbers'' (BLN) as a product copy protection scheme, use a multicast
address instead of the broadcast address.

  The merits or demerits of doing license checking are somewhat
political.  The obnoxiousness of interrupting every other host on the
network regardless of manufacture just to check one manufacturer's
license is untenable and unjustifiable.

  I would suggest either registering a special multicast address for each
company's product or better yet, register a general ``License Multicast
Address'' (LMA) that all companies could use for such purposes.  That
would encourage all companies interested in doing BLN to do it with the
LMA.  The fact that all these companies' products would be interrupting
each other left and right can only be counted as a feature ...  Perhaps
the resulting slowness of such products would form a market force that
would select for products that concentrated their anti-copying efforts on
quality of product and service rather that algorithmic means.

  Perhaps we could even get this into the Host Requirements RFC as an
addendum ... :-)

Casey

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (12/02/89)

  This from an unnamed source since I don't know if s/he wants to be
credited/blamed:

| Why not build a "discard server" which listens for broadcast discard
| packets of that form and reflects them back at the discard port of the
| sender, thus causing a license collision, disabling the product....
|
| Needless to say, you only want one of these on a network :-)

  Hee hee.  I really like this idea.  I'd get in all sorts of trouble,
but it would almost be worth it ... :-)

  Obviously any such Anti-License Server would have to be programmed to
handle all the other similar schemes running around ...  (For example
SCO's XENIX TCP/IP runtime broadcasts packets to UDP port 60000 every
thirty seconds. (And yes, we've complained that 60000 isn't registered.
They should obviously use the [currently nonexistant] License Multicast
Address (LMA) to UDP port 9.))

Casey

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (12/04/89)

Some time soon we will begin charging for network traffic.  It would
seem only fair to pass the charges on to the vendors for these nefarious
packets.  And, the packets are already labeled to boot!  Let's see,
1 cent a packet times 1000 hosts that receive the junk packet. That's 10
bucks per "protected" copy for a oneshot.  Now, let's assume that 100
persons were foolish enough to buy this protected product. That's one
thousand bucks a day.  Now finally, let's assume that these products
ship this periodically just to make sure no one is stealing their product.
(Of course this only works on a single, link level network, IP defeats
the protection scheme.)  How about once every minute to be really safe.
That comes to hmmm let's see 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day...
Could that be One million four hundred and forty thousand dollars charged
to the vendor per day for 100 copies of their software at just one site?
Hmmm, What does that come to a year?  And how many copies of PC-NFS are
there out there?

Phil Wood,  cpw@lanl.gov

warner@twg.com (Warner Losh) (12/04/89)

In article <40184@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) writes:
>  Perhaps we could even get this into the Host Requirements RFC as an
>addendum ... :-)

Better yet, we should make the practice a MUST NOT in the Host
Requirements RFC.  It is totally bogus and doesn't buy the company
that is doing the copy protection anything.

Don't broadcast packets cause ARP wars anyway?  At least on networks
that have older networking software?  I'd hate to see a ARP war (aka
net meltdown) that could be traced to this practice.  Denial of
service law suits can be expensive.....

Warner Losh
warner@twg.com
These are my own opinions.
Warner Losh	warner@twg.com (formerly warner@hydrovax.nmt.edu)
Is this nightmare black, or are the windows painted?
My views and spelling are my own.  Only the letters have been changed.