[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] FAXes vs. EMAIL

jdemarco@interlan.interlan.COM (James DeMarco) (12/20/89)

:r fax.memo

Bill Gunshannon writes:
> The only reason that FAX is more popular than Email is "PR".

I don't agree with you.  I believe that there is still a very large number
of people out in the world who are uncomfortable with computers.  FAX has
the advantage of simplicity.  For hardware, you need only a telephone line,
a FAX machine, and paper.  Setting it up is trivial (plug the FAX in an
electrical outlet and plug in a few modular phone cords).  To send a FAX, just
dial the number you want, insert your document, and va-voom -- MAGIC!  To
receive FAXes is even simpler.

Granted, there are more complicated FAX machines out there, but the simple,
CHEAP ones are going to go to technophobes.  How much would a PC setup cost?
More importantly, how simple would it be to explain how to use it JUST FOR
EMAIL?  I'm not
talking about explaining it to someone already familiar with computers either.
I'm pretty sure I can have my nieces (both pre-teens) using a FAX confidently
within five minutes FROM SCRATCH.  I think it would take much longer to do
the same for EMAIL on a PC (and they have "played" on PCs a bit, so they aren't
totally new to computers).

> But the truth is, FAX offers nothing that can't be done with the PC sitting
> on your desk.

Currently, the PC on my desk can't talk to a FAX machine ;-).  I don't have
the appropriate hardware or software.

My PC wasn't purchased so I can send EMAIL (its use for EMAIL is mainly an
afterthought and I use our Internet connection).  I use it mainly for software
testing and development.  I suspect that most PCs were bought mainly for
non-email uses (spreadsheets, word processing, databases, etc.).  Hence, they
are not equipped with the necessary hardware for EMAIL.  FAXes, on the other
hand, really have only ONE purpose and that's why they are purchased: to
send and receive [written/printed/drawn] documents.  I don't think I can
convince say, my mother, that she should buy a PC and the appropriate HW (at
least a modem), learn how to set it up and use it, etc., just so she can send
EMAIL; she would have no other use for a PC, nor would she have the patience
or desire to use it (I know, I know, these are famous last words; but you try
convincing her a priori.).  She has NEVER used a typewriter or keyboard before
(I suspect there may be quite a number of people in that situation, by the way,
though I doubt they are on this mailing list).  She could, however, very EASILY
write (by hand) a letter and FAX it to me.  She could FAX me an article from
the local paper (which I, being 250+ miles away, don't usually get).  She could
do this without retyping everything (I think a minimal PC setup with a scanner
would cost significantly MORE than a MINIMAL FAX).

> So, someone please tell me "What is so great about FAX?" and why can't
> those of us who use Email all the time convince the rest of the world
> how much better it really is??

FAXes offer SIMPLICITY at a VERY low cost.

It is this simplicity, IMHO, that has made FAXes so popular.  Of course, the
high-end FAXes are also doing well, but I think that they are being purchased
by people already familiar with FAXes and their limitations.  There is
[obviously] a big market for sending and receiving [short] documents over
phone lines.  If that were ALL I needed to do, I'd consider a PC overkill
and go out and buy a [cheap] FAX machine.

                                       --Jim

                                          bill gunshannon
                                       702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET

> Granted, there are more complicated FAX machines out there, but the simple,
> CHEAP ones are going to go to technophobes.  How much would a PC setup cost?

Oh, well under $500. If we can get a reasonable standard off the ground,
probably under $100. It's much simpler technology. You could probably do it
with a Commodore-64 for that price now.

> More importantly, how simple would it be to explain how to use it JUST FOR
> EMAIL?

Again, once the software and standard is there (a SMOP):

	"Turn the machine on. After a little while it will display the
	 main screen. You can hit 'R' to read messages, 'W' to write
	 messages, and 'S' to send mail. The computer will also answer
	 the phone and accept messages in this mode.

	"If you hit R, the subject lines of waiting messages will be
	 displayed, whether they're to or from you, and for messages from
	 you whether they have been delivered yet... you can display these
	 messages, print them, or discard them.

	"If you hit W, you will be prompted for the phone number to
	 send the message to, the name of the person to receive it,
	 and a subject line (a short comment as to what the message is
	 about, such as "Christmas card".

	"If you hit S, EMAIL will attempt to send any messages waiting
	 to go out."

After the protocol is worked out (see other messages on the subject),
this should be pretty simple.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.