[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] MB, MG, MR....

af%sei.ucl.ac.be@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU ("Alain FONTAINE ", Postmaster - NAD) (12/15/89)

Hi. May I ask if anybody is currently playing with the experimental
mailbox RR's ? Is there any software using them ? Do most implementations
of the DNServers already handle them ? Seems exactly what I need to
handle our 'logical addresses'. Thanks for any info.       /AF

08071TCP@MSU.BITNET (Doug Nelson) (12/20/89)

>Hi. May I ask if anybody is currently playing with the experimental
>mailbox RR's ? Is there any software using them ? Do most implementations
>of the DNServers already handle them ? Seems exactly what I need to
>handle our 'logical addresses'. Thanks for any info.       /AF

It is my understanding that MB, MG, and MR are obsolete, and that MX
was designed specifically to be a replacement and generalization of the
other three.

Doug Nelson
Michigan State University

pvm@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Paul Mockapetris) (12/22/89)

> >Hi. May I ask if anybody is currently playing with the experimental
> >mailbox RR's ? Is there any software using them ? Do most implementations
> >of the DNServers already handle them ? Seems exactly what I need to
> >handle our 'logical addresses'. Thanks for any info.       /AF
>
> It is my understanding that MB, MG, and MR are obsolete, and that MX
> was designed specifically to be a replacement and generalization of the
> other three.
>
> Doug Nelson
> Michigan State University

At the time the DNS was designed, everybody agreed that we needed to
support mail.  One faction argued for "mailbox binding" or routing
based on the whole destination (e.g. PVM@ISI.EDU) while another argued
for "agent binding", in which only the right-hand side, or ISI.EDU in
this case, is used.  The difference is whether you route mail by
individual mailbox or by oragnization/host/whatever.

The "agent binding" folks proposed a mechanism using MF and MD RRs.
This was replaced by MX.  Agent routing is the standard today.

The "mailbox binding" folks had a lot more trouble deciding what to
do, since they also felt that mailing lists, exploders, etc were on
their agenda.  Basically no agreement was possible for the same sort
of reasons as you see different mailers for UNIX.  However, I felt it
was important to at least illustrate the possibilities, so the mailbox
RRs are in the DNS spec.  I have been told by different people that
they are exactly right, completely wrong, or somewhere in between.

Every so often, I get inquiries asking whether anyone has implemented
it.  I know some places that have threatened to, and have seen several
viewgraph implementations.  I don't know if anyone has it in
production.

It seems clear to me that:

An implementation based on the current specs might be useful for some
sites.

An extended version could easily be better.

Standardizing one or getting mailbox binding elevated to an Internet
standard might be easier than getting agreement on a standard shoe
size, but need not be so.

This discussion should move to namedroppers.

paul