[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Re^2: FAXes vs. EMAIL

shj@ultra.com (Steve Jay) (12/22/89)

peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Again, once the software and standard is there (a SMOP):

>	"Turn the machine on. After a little while it will display the
>	 main screen. You can hit 'R' to read messages, 'W' to write
>	 messages, and 'S' to send mail. The computer will also answer
>	 the phone and accept messages in this mode.

>	"If you hit R, the subject lines of waiting messages will be
>	 displayed, whether they're to or from you, and for messages from
>	 you whether they have been delivered yet... you can display these
>	 messages, print them, or discard them.

>	"If you hit W, you will be prompted for the phone number to
>	 send the message to, the name of the person to receive it,
>	 and a subject line (a short comment as to what the message is
>	 about, such as "Christmas card".

>	"If you hit S, EMAIL will attempt to send any messages waiting
>	 to go out."

>After the protocol is worked out (see other messages on the subject),
>this should be pretty simple.

As simple as this seems, it's already beyond what a lot of civilians
(non-computer folk) are willing to accept.

FAX technology works with familiar, low tech, stuff, like pieces of
paper & writing implements of your choice.  People already know how
to create written documents, file them in some way, and locate one
via random criteria at some later date.  Using the computer & email,
you have to worry about how to edit a message going out and how to save
a message for later retrieval.  This requires a lot more than "turn it
on & type W".

As an example of what a non-technical person can easily do with FAX
messages, but might be real tough with email, is find the message
that supposedly came in within the last month or so (but really it
came in 4 months ago), and the document is remembered only as the
one that had a blue smudge in the upper left corner.

Steve Jay
Ultra Network Technologies	Domain: shj@ultra.com
101 Dagget Drive		Internet: ultra!shj@ames.arc.nasa.gov
San Jose, CA  95134		uucp:  ...ames!ultra!shj
(408) 922-0100

In article <1989Dec22.031543.606@ultra.com> shj@ultra.com (Steve Jay) writes:
> As simple as this seems, it's already beyond what a lot of civilians
> (non-computer folk) are willing to accept.

Perhaps. I think you give them too little credit. Look at what they do in
France, with those abbysmal minitel terminals.

> As an example of what a non-technical person can easily do with FAX
> messages, but might be real tough with email, is find the message
> that supposedly came in within the last month or so (but really it
> came in 4 months ago), and the document is remembered only as the
> one that had a blue smudge in the upper left corner.

Whether the thing is printed on a dot matrix printer or a FAX machine
is irrelevant.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter@ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter@sugar.lonestar.org>.