[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] computerfax

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (12/20/89)

702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET (bill gunshannon) writes:
>I don't think you read my whole posting.  I can send Email from PC to PC
>using the exact same Phone system that FAXers use.  The software is easier
>to set up than WordPerfect and the software is even FREE!!!
>
>I still say it is all PR.

	i imagine that we did read your whole posting, bill.
	the word "tirade" came to mind.
	not that i don't tie a good rade myself, ok?

	your complaint seems to be with 'commercialization' of fax,
	rather than the technology itself.  there are problems with
	the technology, such as the lack of a standard to specify the
	recipient of the (group 3) fax.  but commercialization is not
	necessarily a problem.  quite the opposite...

	fax is not any sort of 'threat' to email as a technology.
	instead, the combination of the two might create more useful
	technology and a stronger market for both email AND fax!

--

-- Steve Elias ; eli@spdcc.com ; 6179325598 ; 5086717556 ; { *disclaimer(); }

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (12/20/89)

followups to alt.fax.
by the way, does anyone else support the creation of comp.fax ?

 emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

>I know there's an RFC that addresses a standard format for storing an
>ascii representation of fax images written back in the olden days when
>the US Post Office was going to offer the service.

	the US post office is currently offering fax service at
	some northeast post offices.  they rent space to a company
	which put together "fax kiosks" designed for public use.

	(has anyone seen one of these beasties, yet?)

"Mitchell_B._Erblich.ESAE"@XEROX.COM (12/22/89)

Steve Elias,
the US post office is currently offering fax service at
	some northeast post offices.  they rent space to a company
	which put together "fax kiosks" designed for public use.

	(has anyone seen one of these beasties, yet?)
YEP,
	I used one in South Florida, in Plantation near Ft. Lauderdale.

Mitch

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (12/24/89)

>	the US post office is currently offering fax service at
>	some northeast post offices.  they rent space to a company
>	which put together "fax kiosks" designed for public use.
>
>	(has anyone seen one of these beasties, yet?)

There's one here in the Brookline Post Office. It looked expensive (I
think $15?) You can find fax-o-matics in most any motel lobby and many
copy shops, I'd be surprised if this is a big hit for the P.O.

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade         | bzs@world.std.com
1330 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202 | {xylogics,uunet}world!bzs