  From: efb@suned1.Nswses.NAVY.MIL (Everett F. Batey II)
  Date: Thu, 28 Dec 89 21:37:29 PST
  Subject: Looks like net 192.31.106 is LOST again

  We recently introduced a DNS, engsun, net_.50, we intermittently lost
  our old aliases host.NAVY.MIL on three of the critical hosts.  The NIC
  fixed that for us.  We have devolved, in the past week, since the last
  fix to the INVISIBLE net ( Net_192.31.106 ).  The only hosts we can
  exchange packets with are on the MILnet.

  Our nslookup, in diagnostic mode, reports we are getting good id's for
  each regular ( non-MILnet ) host we try to ping, finger or telnet / ftp
  with.  Most non-MILnet ping or finger requests, end up with 'hostname:
  unknown host'  EVEN THOUGH the dns did a successful resolution.

  WE CAN connect to and exchange packets over internet with our SECONDARY,
  nosc.mil, with the NIC and other milnet sites.  ALL routes are via

  26.17.0.46      vaxb.navy.mil nswses.arpa vaxb.nswses.navy.mil

  Frankly, I can not imagine what I might have messed up that would allow
  me to reach MILnet hosts and NO OTHERS .. UNLIKE 10 to 12 days ago when
  I could reach the entire internet; neither can I imagine an internet
  failure mode that would make this happen unless we are removed from SOME
  of the core gateways.

  vaxb packet gate is a Wollongong VMS VAX 11/780. ( POC Martin Jordaan )
  engsun dns host  is a SunOS 4.0.3 Sun 3/60. ( POC Everett F. Batey II )
  suned1 mail host is a SunOS 4.0.3 Sun 3/60. ( POC Everett F. Batey II )

  ANY HELP will be very much appreciated.  /Everett Batey dns coordinator/

  /---/ principal hosts on net 192.31.106  /---/

  192.31.106.1	nswses-gw nswses-gw.navy.mil nswses-gw.nswses.navy.mil
  192.31.106.2	nswses-poe nswses-poe.navy.mil nswses-poe.nswses.navy.mil
  192.31.106.3	vaxb vaxb.navy.mil vaxb.nswses.navy.mil vb
  26.17.0.46      vaxb.navy.mil nswses.arpa vaxb.nswses.navy.mil
  192.31.106.20	tervax tervax.navy.mil tervax.nswses.navy.mil tv
  192.31.106.40	suned1 suned1.navy.mil suned1.nswses.navy.mil s1
  192.31.106.50	engsun engsun.navy.mil engsun.nswses.navy.mil eng
  192.31.106.51	suned0 suned0.navy.mil suned0.nswses.navy.mil s0
  192.31.106.55	suned9 suned9.navy.mil suned9.nswses.navy.mil s9

  /---/ END of principal hosts on net 192.31.106  /---/

}-- End of excerpt from TO: action@nic.ddn.mil@nosc.mil

--
   efb@suned1.UUCP efbatey@suned1.nswses.Navy.MIL efb@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov
           Gold Coast Sun Local User Group | Vta-SB-SLO DECUS

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (01/01/90)

Please check the routing on 26.17.0.46.  I can ping it from another milnet
host but not from a host off the milnet.  Once you get 26.17.0.46 fixed,
running EGP somehow, then need to worry about nameservice for navy.mil.
Who is running the DNS for navy.mil?

Phil Wood
Los Alamos National Laboratory

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (01/02/90)

>On Dec 31, 13:49, C. You wrote:
>>
>>Please check the routing on 26.17.0.46.  I can ping it from another milnet
>>host but not from a host off the milnet.
>
>It HAS never been administered with respect to RIP or EGP.

26.17.0.46(VAXB.NSWSES.NAVY.MIL) is advertised by the core as a gateway
for your network.  If it does not know how to route beyond MILNET than
hosts on your net will not be able to go beyond MILNET.  Here is our
EGP entry for your network:

	Destination:       192.31.106.0
        Autonomous System: 164
        Gateway:           26.17.0.46
        Interface:         imp0
        Age:               60
        Protocol:          EGP
        Metric:            0
        Exterior Metric:   2
        Flags:             <UP|GATEWAY>
        State:             <EXTERIOR>
        From Protocol:     <EGP>

That Gateway needs to have similar information about the Internet so that
it can route your packets.  Otherwise, you will continue to be:

	"LOST on net 192.31.106"

Can you find another way to the Internet?  NSFnet?  A correctly managed
MILnet gateway?

Just trying to help,

Phil

efb@suned1.Navy.MIL (Everett F. Batey II) (01/04/90)

In article <8912312049.AA10859@sneezy.lanl.gov> cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) writes:
>Please check the routing on 26.17.0.46.

The marina-del-rey-mb.ddn.mil gateway apparently has bee out of service for
several weeks .. under repair .. WE LEARNED a NEW GOTCHA to watch for.

Thanks to Phil Wood of LANL and Ron Broersma of NOSC.