[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Novell Networks

lwilson@umabco.UUCP (Lowell G. Wilson) (01/17/90)

Does anyone know of a Novell LAN-based mail package that will talk SMTP?
We are in the [seemingly never-ending] process of completing
installation of a campus backbone that will connect all of our Novell
LANs (among other systems) and it would be nice if our users could send
and receive their Internet mail from the comfort of their own file
server.  We have mail systems in place that will allow our users to send
mail out to Internet addresses now, but that requires another login and
I'd like to see the extra authentication avoided.  Any hints?

Oh, while I'm here, I've gotten lots of help from this newsgroup before
(even when folks have just told me I can't do what I want to do) so, to
those who have replied to my messages in the past, thanks....

--
Lowell Wilson : Sinecure III        University of Maryland at Baltimore
                                    Information Resources Mgt Division

krupczak@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (Bobby Krupczak) (01/17/90)

In article <863@umabco.UUCP> lwilson@umabco.UUCP (Lowell G. Wilson) writes:

>Does anyone know of a Novell LAN-based mail package that will talk SMTP?
>We are in the [seemingly never-ending] process of completing
>installation of a campus backbone that will connect all of our Novell
>LANs (among other systems) and it would be nice if our users could send
>and receive their Internet mail from the comfort of their own file
>server.  We have mail systems in place that will allow our users to send
>mail out to Internet addresses now, but that requires another login and
>I'd like to see the extra authentication avoided.  Any hints?

Hi!

Novell is working on "Portable" Netware.  This product is written to run
on Unix as well as VMS machines.  NCR is one company that will offer
"Portable" Netware on its Unix boxes.  Having a Netware file server on
a Unix box (presumably with TCP/IP), mail could be sent from a client on
a pc out to the Internet.  I dont know of any commercial based products that
are available yet for "Portable" NetWare, they arent too far down the line
Im sure -- or you could write one yourself.

Bobby

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (01/19/90)

*  >
*
*  From: ucsdhub!hp-sdd!ncr-sd!ncrcae!secola!krupczak@ucsd.edu  (Bobby Krupczak)
*
*  Hi!
*
*  Novell is working on "Portable" Netware.  This product is written to run
*  on Unix as well as VMS machines.  NCR is one company that will offer
*  "Portable" Netware on its Unix boxes.  Having a Netware file server on
*  a Unix box (presumably with TCP/IP), mail could be sent from a client on
*  a pc out to the Internet. I dont know of any commercial based products that
*  are available yet for "Portable" NetWare, they arent too far down the line
*  Im sure -- or you could write one yourself.
*
*  Bobby

i assume that you mean the either novell or NCR intends to make a integrated
novell/SMTP mail gateway for use by the clients then? as i understand the
portable netware project, there is no tcpip functionality included, since it
was intended to run on arbitrary machines (like DECNET only machines as well
as TCP/IP only machines.). just having netware on your TOWER or VAXEN does
not mean you will be able to send DECNET mail or SMTP mail, or even log into
the host in the "telnet" or "LAT" sense of the term.

stev knowles
stev@ftp.com