[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] tcp port numbers

slm@wsc-sun (Shamus McBride) (01/13/90)

Is there some organization or "official" list of tcp port uses above
256 (last one specified in RFC1010) or is /etc/services the best
one can hope for?

--
Shamus Mc Bride
Employer: Boeing Computer Services

heberlei@kongur.ucdavis.edu (Louis Todd Heberlein) (01/14/90)

In article <9001121841.AA25491@shuksan.> slm@wsc-sun (Shamus McBride) writes:
>Is there some organization or "official" list of tcp port uses above
>256 (last one specified in RFC1010) or is /etc/services the best
>one can hope for?
>
>--
>Shamus Mc Bride
>Email:    slm%wsc-sun@atc.boeing.com  (static routers)
> or  :    slm@wsc-sun.boeing.com      (domain routers)

I too am, and I imagine many others would be too, interested in such a
list.  I see many ports being used which are not mentioned in
/etc/services nor in any other documentation that I have found.

Todd Heberlein
heberlei@kongur.ucdavis.edu	128.120.57.118

deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com (Dean Roth) (01/15/90)

To get a list of assigned numbers (TCP ports, protocols, etc.),
send email to

	 info-server@sh.cs.net

with the format shown below.  (The subject line is ignored.)
The request will be filled by a program.
In the body of the message put:

REQUEST: RFC
TOPIC: RFC1010
REQUEST: END

The last time I got the list it was 80KB.

Dean
deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com

rogers@OSI540SN.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Scott W. Rogers) (01/16/90)

The Assigned Numbers RFC available from the NIC (nic.ddn.mil) lists
the officially assigned TCP and UDP port numbers.  The /etc/services
file may document additional "commonly" used unix TCP/UCP ports, but
may not be officially assigned.

To have a TCP or UDP port "officially" assigned for a specific use,
you can make a case to jkreynolds@isi.edu or Jon Postel (also of ISI).

tcs@BRL.MIL (Terry Slattery, SECAD) (01/16/90)

> Is there some organization or "official" list of tcp port uses above
> 256 ...

I have been asking the same question of Jon Postel recently.  It seems that
Sun's NeWS system usurped port 2000, which has historically been used by
ttcp (a program to test TCP/UDP thoughput).  Upon discovering this I wanted
to have a published port number so that it wouldn't happen again.
Unfortunately, the number czar only handles low numbered ports.  Something
needs to be done about registering ALL port numbers so that this doesn't
continue to happen.

Personally, I don't see why the existing registration procedures can't be
applied to all port numbers.  Are there any significant problems in doing
this?

	-tcs

cpw%sneezy@LANL.GOV (C. Philip Wood) (01/17/90)

 >> Sun's NeWS system usurped port 2000

Sun also decided to use port 9 (DISCARD protocol) for "copy protection"
of their PC-NFS product.  Is that a low enough port number?  Nothing
like stomping all over convention.  Now I have beaucoup messages from
various blankity-blank Peesee's in a log on our network test machine.
Of course all the other systems on the net get to handle these
interrupts too.

A way to stop this noise is to send the data back to them.  Yuck, yuck.

We could call it "Well Known Socket Protection".

Phil

slm@wsc-sun (Shamus McBride) (01/17/90)

I asked a question about tcp port numbers are assigned (my interest was the
256 - 1023 range).

To throw something else into the discussion I awk'ed out the following
two tables (tcp & udp) from all of the /etc/services files I could find
(see note at end).  For the most part the various systems I looked at
were consistant, but there were a couple of differences

    ALL = unicos ultrix sun & yp

 tcp:
    7 echo            ALL
    9 discard         ALL
   11 systat          ALL
   13 daytime         ALL
   15 netstat         ALL
   17 qotd            ultrix:unicos
   19 chargen         ultrix:unicos
   20 ftp-data        sun:yp
   21 ftp             ALL
   23 telnet          ALL
   25 smtp            ALL
   37 time            ALL
   42 nameserver      ultrix:unicos # IEN 116
   43 whois           ALL           # usually to sri-nic
   53 domain          ALL           # name-domain server
   57 mtp             ultrix:unicos # deprecated
   77 rje             ALL
   79 finger          ALL
   87 link            ALL
   95 supdup          ALL
  101 hostnames       ALL           # usually to sri-nic
  102 iso-tsap:tsap   sun:yp:ultrix # for isode (M. Banan)
    # tsap     on ultrix
    # iso-tsap on sun yp yp
  103 x400            sun:yp        # ISO Mail
  104 x400-snd        sun:yp
  105 csnet-ns        sun:yp
  109 pop:pop-2       ALL           # Post Office
    # pop-2 on sun yp yp
    # pop   on ultrix ultrix unicos
  111 sunrpc          ALL
  113 auth            ultrix:unicos
  115 sftp            ultrix:unicos
  117 uucp-path       ALL
  119 nntp            ALL           # Network News Transfer # USENET News Transfer Protocol
  123 ntp             sun:yp        # Network Time Protocol
  144 NeWS            sun:yp        # Window System
  170 print-srv       ultrix        # network PostScript
  201 nqs             yp            # NQS daemon
    # port 607 on unicos
  260 rtape           ultrix        # remote tape from chaos *rsg*
  512 exec            ALL
  513 login           ALL
  514 shell           ALL           # no passwords used
  515 printer         ALL           # experimental # line printer spooler
  520 efs             ultrix:unicos # for LucasFilm
  526 tempo           ultrix:unicos
  530 courier         ALL           # experimental
  531 conference      ultrix:unicos
  532 netnews         ultrix:unicos
  540 uucp            ultrix:unicos # uucp daemon
  543 klogin          yp            # Kerberos authenticated rlogin
  544 kshell          yp            # and remote shell
  556 remotefs        ultrix:unicos # Brunhoff remote filesystem
  570 eval            ultrix        # remote eval service *rsg*
  600 pcserver        yp            # SunIPC
  607 nqs             unicos        # Cray Network Queueing System
    # port 201 on yp
  608 cde             unicos        # Cray Distributed Editor
  750 kerberos        yp            # Kerberos authentication--tcp
  751 kerberos_master yp            # Kerberos authentication
  754 krb_prop        yp            # Kerberos slave propagation
  755 kadmind         yp
  888 erlogin         yp            # Login and environment passing
  906 sample          yp            # Kerberos sample app server
 1109 kpop            yp            # Pop with Kerberos
 1234 mkuserd         yp
 1524 ingreslock      ALL
 2001 lgc_pd          unicos
 2002 lgc_sdsrv       unicos
 2053 knetd           yp            # Kerberos de-multiplexor
 2105 eklogin         yp            # Kerberos encrypted rlogin
 5000 VTVIN           unicos        # bill samayoa / nrao aps virtual tv
 5003 xcwcs           ultrix:yp     # CWCS control socket # experimental
 5004 cwdata          ultrix:yp     # CWCS file transfer socket # experimental
22375 quantic         unicos

 udp:
    7 echo            ALL
    9 discard         ALL
   13 daytime         ALL
   19 chargen         ultrix:unicos
   37 time            ALL
   39 rlp             ultrix:unicos # resource location
   42 name            sun:yp
   53 domain          ALL
   67 bootp           ultrix        # boot program server
   69 tftp            ALL
  111 sunrpc          ALL
  153 sgmp            ultrix        #
  161 snmp            ultrix        #
  162 snmp-trap       ultrix        #
  512 biff            ALL
  513 who             ALL
  514 syslog          ALL
  517 talk            ALL
  518 ntalk           ultrix:unicos
  520 route           ALL
  525 timed           ultrix:unicos
  533 netwall         ultrix:unicos # -for emergency broadcasts
  550 new-rwho        sun:unicos:yp # experimental
  560 rmonitor        sun:unicos:yp # experimental
  561 monitor         sun:unicos:yp # experimental
  704 elcsd           ultrix        # errlog
  750 kerberos        yp            # Kerberos authentication--udp
  751 kerberos_master yp            # Kerberos authentication
  752 passwd_server   yp            # Kerberos passwd server
  753 userreg_server  yp            # Kerberos userreg server
  999 applix          ultrix        # Alis
 2049 nfs             unicos        # Network File System

 "ultrix" = ULTRIX V3.1 & Ultix-32 V3.1 (Rev. 9).
 "sun" = SunOS Release 4.0.3.
 "unicos" = UNICOS Release 5.0.13
 "yp" = what I ripped off of local yellow pages servers.
If people want to mail *ME* some /etc/services from some other systems
and there is enough interest I could republish this list. My interest
has been looking at colisions in the address space.

--

BILLW@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (William "Chops" Westfield) (01/17/90)

> Is there some organization or "official" list of tcp port uses above
> 256 ...

Come on people.  Port numbers above 255 are BY DEFINITION un-official.
I could see some value in making the "official" space larger, but you
still need a whole bunch of numbers for the other side of the connection.

BillW
-------

stev@VAX.FTP.COM (01/17/90)

>  Now I have beaucoup messages from
>  various blankity-blank Peesee's in a log on our network test machine.
>  Of course all the other systems on the net get to handle these
>  interrupts too.
>
>  A way to stop this noise is to send the data back to them.  Yuck, yuck.
>
>  We could call it "Well Known Socket Protection".
>
>  Phil

i understand you are kidding, phil, but before anyone decides to go give
this a try, you should consider that you are voilating the paradym as badly
as they are (hope the spelling is correct there, someone ran off with the
dictionary). while it *seems* like a good idea at the beginning, and one
could argue that is you are only replying to the hosts that generate traffic
to the discard socket with the broadcast address, it is still a bad idea to
lower ones self to their level.

personally, i liked the idea of charging back for the packets:)

stev knowles
ftp software
stev@ftp.com

morgan@jessica.Stanford.EDU (RL "Bob" Morgan) (01/18/90)

Terry asks:

> Personally, I don't see why the existing registration procedures can't
> be applied to all port numbers.  Are there any significant problems in
> doing this?

As various other postings about inconsistent use of port numbers on
different systems should make clear, we have got to the point where
maintaining a universal static list mapping service names to port
numbers is as unappealing and difficult as maintaining a universal
static list mapping host names to IP addresses.  It's an inevitable
consequence of the growth in size and diversity of the Internet.  The
Numbers Czars seem to have stated their limited interest in
maintaining such a list by limiting the "official" range to 0-256.
(Maybe they're thinking of expanding this?)

Clearly, what's needed is a standard mechanism for hosts to access
services on other hosts without knowing in advance what ports those
services are on.  One such mechanism is proposed in RFC-1078, TCPMUX,
but unfortunately it only applies to TCP-based services.  Sun's
portmapper provides this function for services using their RPC
protocol.  My impression of Hesiod, MIT-Athena's extension to domain
name service, is that it performs this function among others.  I
imagine that such a mechanism could be based on ISO Directory services
whenever they become widely available.  In the meantime, we'll suffer
along as usual.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (01/19/90)

| From: stev@VAX.FTP.COM
|
| Personally, I liked the idea of charging back for the packets:)

  Don't forget to charge the broadcast storm packets too.  And the CPU
time stolen from all the machines that were uselessly interrupted.