[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Did Morris try to stop the worm?

jim%blaise@rand.UUCP ("Jim Gillogly") (01/30/90)

Geof Cooper said:
> One thing that makes me wonder: A newspaper article claims that Morris
> wanted to stop the worm when it started to get out of control, and
> decided that he wasn't able to.  When the Internet group started to
> try and control it, why didn't he offer to help?

The following message was sent the morning after the network worm started.
My understanding is that it was sent by a friend of Morris.  Checking the
"Received" times suggests that it it didn't arrive in time to do any good.

      Jim Gillogly

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 03:34:13 EST
From: foo%bar.arpa@RELAY.CS.NET
To: tcp-ip@SRI-NIC.ARPA

A Possible virus report:

There may be a virus loose on the internet.

Here is the gist of a message Igot:

I'm sorry.

Here are some steps to prevent further transmission:

1) don't run fingerd, or fix it to not overrun its stack when reading
arguments.

2) recompile sendmail w/o DEBUG defined

3) don't run rexecd

Hope this helps, but more, I hope it is a hoax.
qui