[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] CERFNET/MILNET connectivity

gkn@SDS.SDSC.EDU (Gerard K. Newman) (02/05/90)

>From:	 stanonik@nprdc.navy.mil (Ron Stanonik)
>Subject: milnet/nsfnet(cerfnet) connectivity
>Date:	 2 February 1990 1503-PST (Friday)
>
>We recently needed to connect from a milnet site (nprdc.navy.mil)
>to a cerfnet site (sdsu.edu) , and found delays were about ~30secs.
>This is particularly annoying given that the sites are less than
>5 miles apart.  The milnet/arpanet core gateways were redirecting
>nprdc.navy.mil through reston-dcec-mb.ddn.mil; ie, both sites are
>in San Diego CA, but at least one site was being redirected through
>VA(?).

CERFNET gets its connectivity to the NSFNET backbone at the NSS here
at the San Diego Supercomputer Center;  however, it seems that all of
the nets advertised thru the NSS here in San Diego seem to get fed
into the MILNET via RESTON-DCEC-MB.DDN.MIL, which is pretty stupid
given that MOFFET-FLD-MB.DDN.MIL is only 2 T1 and 2 ethernet hops
from SDSC.

MILNET connectivity from SDSC is pretty bad most of the time because
of this.

gkn
Internet: GKN@SDS.SDSC.EDU
Bitnet:   GKN@SDSC