[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP FOR ULTRIX

AFDDN.TCP-IP@GUNTER-ADAM.ARPA (02/06/88)

  Forgive if this was posted and I missed it.

We have a uVAX running Ultrix that I would "like" to have SLIP on.  Is such
a beastie available?  I saw the postings for UNIX, but not being a
Unix or Ultrix wizard, I don't know how compatible the two really are.
Any Ultrix wizards out there know about SLIP??
Thanks in advance,
Darrel Beach
-------

JBVB@AI.AI.MIT.EDU ("James B. VanBokkelen") (02/07/88)

We got binary modules from a co-operative DEC support office (of course,
we're on our own for setup and if it breaks).  It is going to be quite
difficult, if not impossible, for you to add it without either source,
or help from someone who has source.  We are using Ultrix 2.0 on a
Microvax, and the SLIP line is our link to the ARPAnet.  Seems to work
ok, even when used as a router from our local ether to the wide world.

James VanBokkelen
FTP Software Inc.
jbvb@vax.ftp.com

torben@dorsai.ics.hawaii.edu (Prof. Torben N. Nielsen) (02/08/88)

In article <8802060858.AA08978@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> AFDDN.TCP-IP@GUNTER-ADAM.ARPA writes:
>We have a uVAX running Ultrix that I would "like" to have SLIP on.  Is such
>a beastie available?  I saw the postings for UNIX, but not being a
>Unix or Ultrix wizard, I don't know how compatible the two really are.
>Any Ultrix wizards out there know about SLIP??

Can't claim to be an Ultrix wizard, but I seem to recall Fred Avolio of
the Ultirx Group at DEC posting a message saying that he did have SLIP
for Ultrix. I took a look at an Ultrix system at one time and kind of
came to the conclusion that trying to do it yourself to a binary Ultrix
distribution was no fun.

						---Torben

In article <1535@uhccux.UUCP>, torben@dorsai.ics.hawaii.edu (Prof. Torben N. Nielsen) writes:
> In article <8802060858.AA08978@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> AFDDN.TCP-IP@GUNTER-ADAM.ARPA writes:
>> We have a uVAX running Ultrix that I would "like" to have SLIP on.

I have a pseudo interface driver that is known to work on MicroVAX-IIs
running Ultrix 1.2 and 2.0.  This can function as a SLIP driver, in
conjunction with a user-level program.  I can send details if anyone is
interested.

> I took a look at an Ultrix system at one time and kind of came to the
> conclusion that trying to do it yourself to a binary Ultrix
> distribution was no fun.

Trying to do anything to a binary distribution is no fun.  I hold the
view that if you don't have source, you shouldn't even consider using
it.

However it is possible to drop a new network interface driver into a
binary distribution.  I can send you the distribution package for my
IP-over-DECnet stuff, which contains the pseudo interface driver and
directions for installing it even on a binary distribution.

I started to write the user program I mentioned above, but I don't
recall whether I finished it or not.  If anyone cares, I can check and
possibly finish it.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

stev@ftp.COM (Stev Knowles) (03/24/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.2 of Thu Aug 13 1987 on ftp (berkeley-unix)

**> In article <8802060858.AA08978@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> AFDDN.TCP-IP@GUNTER-ADAM.ARPA writes:
**>> We have a uVAX running Ultrix that I would "like" to have SLIP on.
**
**> I took a look at an Ultrix system at one time and kind of came to the
**> conclusion that trying to do it yourself to a binary Ultrix
**> distribution was no fun.
**
**Trying to do anything to a binary distribution is no fun.  I hold the
**view that if you don't have source, you shouldn't even consider using
**it.
**					der Mouse
**
**			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
**			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
**

ftp to ftp.com (128.127.25.100), user = anonymous, password = your
name, and get the file BUGLIX.SLIP.TAR. this is a distribution of slip
for a binary only ULTRIX 2.0 site. there is a readme file there to
explain how it should be done. if you have not rebuilt your kernel
before, here is not the place to start. if you have, this will get you
running. if you have problems with it, you can e-mail me questions.
(i dont get paid to support *this* code).

stev knowles
ftp software

stev@ftp.com

fullton@SAMBA.ACS.UNC.EDU (Jim Fullton) (02/08/90)

	I read that......  I have seen other postings that indicate that a good SLIP
isn't available...  I'll keep looking...

	Jim