[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SMTP gateway for cc:Mail under Netware 386

mikeb@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Mike Byrne) (02/08/90)

We are currently installing six Netware 386 servers on campus.
We have been recommended cc:Mail as an appropriate E-Mail package.

        1. Does anyone have any experience with this product ?

        2. Is there an SMTP gateway available (under development ?) ?

Mike Byrne                              PHONE:  +61-8-228-5110
Microcomputer Support                   FAX:    +61-8-224-0464
The University of Adelaide              E-MAIL: mikeb@ucs.adelaide.edu.au
GPO Box 498  ADELAIDE 5001
SOUTH AUSTRALIA

smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) (02/08/90)

In article <759@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> mikeb@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Mike Byrne) writes:
>We are currently installing six Netware 386 servers on campus.
>We have been recommended cc:Mail as an appropriate E-Mail package.
>
>        1. Does anyone have any experience with this product ?

	I used this package on a PC based network when I worked for
the military.  The network was a Nestar PLAN (Personal LAN) environment,
which caters to *none* of the other PC style networks.  On the other
hand, it allowed booting off the network server and was reasonably
fast.  At any rate, that is the environment.
	The company that makes cc:Mail ported their code to this
network, wrote a driver for it and then polished the code.  We initially
were running release 2.0 and then upgraded to 3.0 -- both were
remarkably bug-free!  Mostly enhancements to the software, not
just bug-fixes.
	The software that we were using was *extremely* slick, fast
and colorful (we had a base config on the machines of 8Mhz 286's,
EGA and Multi-Sync monitors).  The facilities for including files
in messages (binary and so forth) were execellent.  One drawback --
a maximum of 25 files in a single message.  A pain when trying to
get a lot of GIF files from one network account to the other...
	I don't know how the files were encapsulated -- I suspect that
if you cannot ensure 8 bit data, you cannot ensure sending binaries
all over creation...
	On our system (I am not sure if this is an artifact of having
it on our special kind of network server or not) they mail storage
area was a pre-created database of some type -- we endded up
devoting a small (65 meg Plan 3000 fileserver) to dedicated mail
handling -- it worked very well.
	Hopefully the company has continued their excellent software
writing.  I think that this is the single piece of PC based software
that I really enjoyed using.  Please send me any collection
of responses that you get from the net.  Thanks.

>        2. Is there an SMTP gateway available (under development ?) ?

	As I understand it, they were working on a gateway into
other mailing systems, but I do not have *any* experience with it at
all.  Sorry.

--
/* Kurt J. Lidl (smaug@eng.umd.edu) | Unix is the answer, but only if you */
/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!smaug    | phrase the question very carefully. */

lwilson@umabco.UUCP (Lowell G. Wilson) (02/09/90)

(Mike Byrne) writes:
>        2. Is there an SMTP gateway available (under development ?) ?

I talked to a sales rep at cc:Mail yesterday and she told me that an
SMTP gateway is under development and will be put into beta release next
month.  Her guess is that the product will be put into final release 2
months after that...

--
Lowell Wilson : Sinecure III        University of Maryland at Baltimore
                                    Information Resources Mgt Division