[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Inetd Discard on SunOS4

seth@ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) (02/02/90)

I just picked up the netout package from jade.berkeley.edu and found out
that it did not work with Suns.  (The netout package sends lots of 10K
packets over the ethernet to a remote host which discards them using the
discard built into inetd.c)  The reason was simply that the line:

discard stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal

was not in /etc/inetd.conf (but the udp line was in there, the support was
in the inetd.c, and when you added the line, everything worked).

Now I certainly wouldn't suggest that Sun would ever do anything like this
for no good reason (:-) so I was wondering if anyone knew why Sun might have
done this.

                                        -Seth Robertson
                                         seth@ctr.columbia.edu

P.S.  Good job Thomas Ferrin

melohn@sluggo.Sun.COM (Bill Melohn) (02/04/90)

All of the internal services are included in /etc/inetd.conf in SunOS 4.1.

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Daniel Ehrlich) (02/07/90)

In article <131187@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> melohn@sluggo.Sun.COM (Bill Melohn) writes:

Bill> All of the internal services are included in /etc/inetd.conf in SunOS 4.1.

You did not answer the original question.

--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>
Voice: +1 814 863 1142	FAX: +1 814 865 3176

 >Bill> All of the internal services are included in /etc/inetd.conf
 >Bill> in SunOS 4.1.
 >
 >You did not answer the original question.

If the original question was, as I remember it to be, "is there any
reason they're not included there in 4.0", the 4.0 "inetd" is basically
the 4.3BSD one with RPC support and some file descriptor throttling, so
the answer is "the only reason they're not there is that somebody" -
possibly me - "forgot to put them there".