[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Access to EARN/BITNET

merlin@smu.edu (David Hayes) (02/10/90)

Sorry to send this to what may be the wrong group, but this is the
best-informed bunch of network people I know.

We have a user who would like to access a machine on "EARN/BITNET".
I can't find anything on this in the domain name tables.  Please,
what is this, and how do I connect to it?  Thanks for as quick
a response as possible,

David Hayes	School of Engineering	Southern Methodist University
merlin@smu.edu	uunet!smu!merlin
"Here's a test to see if your job here on Earth is finished:  If you're
still here, it isn't."  -- Richard Bach, _Illusions_

RAF@CU.NIH.GOV ("Roger Fajman") (02/10/90)

> We have a user who would like to access a machine on "EARN/BITNET".
> I can't find anything on this in the domain name tables.  Please,
> what is this, and how do I connect to it?  Thanks for as quick
> a response as possible,
>

> David Hayes    School of Engineering   Southern Methodist University
> merlin@smu.edu uunet!smu!merlin
> "Here's a test to see if your job here on Earth is finished:  If you're
> still here, it isn't."  -- Richard Bach, _Illusions_

Your own school, Southern Methodist University, is on BITNET with node
name SMUVM1.  I suggest that you contact the Inforep for that node,
Michael Fritsche, (214) 692-3529, for assistance.

By the way, the proper list for this type of question is
Info-Nets@Think.com. There's probably a corresponding news group, but I
don't recall the name.

Roger Fajman
RAF@NIHCU  (BITNET)
RAF@CU.NIH.GOV  (Internet)

ebrill@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Ed Brill) (02/10/90)

In article <16106@smunews.UUCP> merlin@smu.edu (David Hayes) writes:
>We have a user who would like to access a machine on "EARN/BITNET".
>I can't find anything on this in the domain name tables.  Please,
>what is this, and how do I connect to it?  Thanks for as quick
>a response as possible,

>David Hayes	School of Engineering	Southern Methodist University
>merlin@smu.edu	uunet!smu!merlin

There are several machines on the Internet that act as gateways between
the Internet and BITNET.  Two examples I can think of are UICVM.UIC.EDU
and CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU.  You can address a message to
user%nodename.bitnet@uicvm.uic.edu
where the message will be passed from the Internet to BITNET.  At least--
it usually works.

 Ed Brill -- University Computing Services | SysOp, The IU PC-Link Central BBS
 Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405 | (812) 855-7252 -- 3/12/24/96/14.4
 INTERNET:  ebrill@subcomm.ucs.indiana.edu | KA9TAW @ K9IU  [ham radio packet]
 "You mean BITNET isn't the only network we have to access the outside world?"