[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP on async lines

guy@guy.uucp (Guy Streeter) (02/09/90)

I seem to recall hearing that SLIP will only run on synchronous serial
lines.  Is this true?  I'm not asking about a particular
implementation, and I realize that an async SLIP couldn't talk to a
sync SLIP, but is there something about SLIP which precludes it's
being implemented over async lines?

Thanks,
Guy Streeter
b11!guy!guy@ingr.com
...uunet!ingr!b11!guy!guy

mep@AQUA.WHOI.EDU (Michael E. Pare) (02/12/90)

We have instances of people running slip from their home PC's (and MAC's)
over 9600baud dial up lines to get to their systems at work.  They use
NCSA Telnet on it with great success.  So it does work on async lines.

In article <7414@b11.ingr.com> guy@guy.uucp (Guy Streeter) writes:
>I seem to recall hearing that SLIP will only run on synchronous serial
>lines.  Is this true?  ... is there something about SLIP which precludes it's
>being implemented over async lines?

Other way around:  SLIP is designed for async lines and is not a good
fit on sync lines.  PPP works on either, and is what you should be
implementing if you're implementing something.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu