[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] splitting tcpip

ljm@TWG.COM (Leo J McLaughlin) (02/22/90)

Craig,

>    It seems to me that increasingly the TCP-IP list is being filled with
>messages of the form "anyone know anything about product X?"...
>
>    Does anyone else out there think it might be useful to create
>a separate list for such requests and their answers?  (If you are afraid
>that by splitting off the product side, the questions won't get answered,
>I assure you that the vendors have a large interest in seeing product
>related questions answered, and given a vendor and its competitors are
>both on the list, an answer is likely to be accurate).

I'd much rather not, I'm much more afraid that by splitting this group I'll
have to sift through yet more double (triple?) postings.  The slope from
"How do you implement Van's..." to "Where can I get Van's..." to "Where
can I get X with Van's..." is annoyingly slippery.  It's enough that
tcpip, pc-ip, and NOVELL all exist.

Then again, just asking that all desktop TCP/IP productish questions be
posted only in pc-ip would probably please both of us.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
ljm@twg.com

galvin@TIS.COM (James M Galvin) (02/22/90)

	Then again, just asking that all desktop TCP/IP productish questions be
	posted only in pc-ip would probably please both of us.

As the maintainer of the PCIP mailing list, I would like to be a bit more
precise about the use of the list.

The primary purpose of PCIP is not for discussing "low-end" TCP/IP products,
any more than the primary purpose of TCP-IP is for discussing "high-end"
TCP/IP products.  It is for the discussion of "low-end" TCP/IP, with specific
product discussions being allowed only in the context of a reply to a request
for information.

I am sure this is what Leo meant, but I wanted to make sure everyone else
understood it.  I am compelled to compliment Leo and James Van Bokkelen for
their fairness in responding to information queries on PCIP.  They both
habitually identify products in addition to their own that satisfy queries.

Jim

PS.  The list is "pcip@udel.edu", with the usual administrivia address of
"pcip-request@udel.edu".  It is also gatewayed to BITNET and USENET, as
"pcip-l@vm.byu.edu" and "comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc (??)", respectively.